Clever cat finds his way out of a weird labyrinth

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/09/clever-cat-finds-his-way-out-o.html

16 Likes

Good bedtime scrolling BB, thanks!

8 Likes

Room-Clearing Cat always checks his corners.

13 Likes

Hello, Hosico. Come and play with us. Come and play with us, Hosico. Forever… and ever… and ever.

4 Likes

The music from this clip would have worked well.

11 Likes
3 Likes

At the sight of this I bow down to you, my future cat lords, and humbly beg your forgiveness for they know not what they do.

6 Likes

Clever cat finds his way out of a weird labyrinth?

More like cat wanders around maze (it is not a labyrinth) aimlessly and eventually exits via open hole.

And one needs no cleverness to find a way out of a labyrinth.

The difference between mazes and labyrinths is that labyrinths have a single continuous path which leads to the centre, and as long as you keep going forward, you will get there eventually. Mazes have multiple paths which branch off and will not necessarily lead to the centre.

10 Likes

The old cheek marking the corners trick to check off where one has already visited didn’t seem to help too much. Next up: keep one side of whiskers against a wall and follow it around and out. (hey, if they’re Russian why wasn’t it “Начало” and “Финиш”?)

4 Likes

Ugh. Do we need a reminder of those mornings when you wake up, trudge out of the bedroom, there’s a door you don’t quite remember, so naturally it’s “Bother! What was this door for again?” and you walk through.

Bam! An hour and a half later, you make it out and you’re late for work, didn’t have time for breakfast, and you still haven’t hard your morning coffee, which is probably why it took you and hour and a half…

And now it’s cats too. As if the world didn’t have enough problems.

5 Likes

I would expect that the walls would be swiftly knocked down with ease, which in turn implies that the whole video was just very carefully staged shot-by-shot – but it’s hardly any fun thinking that way.

3 Likes

Okay, I’ll be the grumpy lady. That did not look like fun for the cat. Human idea of fun for cat maybe, but featureless wandering for cat with only reward finding a way to get out. Humans hovering above with cameras. Save me from that kind of love.

3 Likes

2:24 was the big action scene! :slight_smile:

I’d think that cats would do okay with mazes. When it comes to new spaces, they pretty much always check out the area, securing the perimeter. Then (like street cats) reuse familiar and “safe” paths for their daily walkabouts.

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s difficulty to distinguish the many, varied shades of ennui in a cat’s day to day life. It was certainly more existential drift and not maze-busting zeal that motivated the cat.

10 Likes

That was my first thought. My cat regularly pushes on unlatched doors until they open, and she’s about 1/3 the size of the cat in the video. :cat2:

1 Like

2 Likes

This one gets to live.

7 Likes

A cat that lives indoors is generally getting much less stimulation than an outdoor cat. Practically any stimulation is beneficial. This cat never looked in extremis. When it did identify an exit, its response was: “Oh, an exit. I think I’ll chillax inside for a little longer.” If anything, it needs more labyrinths, not fewer.

8 Likes

Don’t worry about the cat lords.

A cat’s idea of an inescapable jail is a hexagon of tape on the floor.

5 Likes

A colleagues cats in their back garden.

9 Likes