Climate activist Greta Thunberg is Time's Person of the Year

Don’t know how to break this to you, but you and Don Jr agree:

3 Likes

Wow, I’m pleasantly surprised that he said that. I figured he would have suggested that his dad get the nod instead.

1 Like

I don’t know. Any time I might find myself in agreement with any of that misbegotten tribe, I would reconsider my life choices that lead me to that low point.

2 Likes

I guess he’s too clueless to understand that climate change is liable to leave fewer endangered animals for him to kill.

5 Likes

His first name is Irving?

1 Like

Judging by all the horrible people in my Facebook feed (i.e. High school acquaintances, right wing relatives etc) Greta Thunberg is somehow a horrible, racist monster patsy of the left, and also the victim of child abuse because her parents aren’t forcing her to stay in school and will clearly learn nothing from meeting with world leaders, addressing the UN and mobilizing a global movement.

The sheer volume and intensity of hostility these people have for her is a sign that she is actually making a difference and helping to move the needle.

5 Likes

I’ll take your word on that.

1 Like

Re the surprise of some coinciding views, I say 'Everybody loves ice cream."

3 Likes

I was looking to see if that idiot Delingpole had posted anything, but he’s busy with the UK election.

“In less than 36 hours Britain will be in the hands of a japesome patriot blond or an unreconstructed antisemitic, terror-supporting Marxist.”

smh.

2 Likes

That’s something that I don’t understand. If you’re someone who thinks global warming is bs and/or that Greta Thunberg is a delusional, misguided child, then it would be “reasonable” to look on her with pity or perhaps wry amusement. But the angry hatred that some people have for her?? That’s psychotic. It’s sick.

4 Likes

She touches a nerve. People see her sincerity, and react with anger, to dismiss her as “brainwashed” or a puppet of the “cult of climate hoaxers” or whatever, so they don’t have to consider if she actually has a point. (I would bet that a lot of the people screaming at her know, deep down, that climate change is real, but are in active denial because it’s emotionally and practically easier for them.)

7 Likes

Somehow I doubt she’d be triggering these people like that if she were male. So there’s a creepy misogyny thing going on too.

4 Likes

Trump’s cadre of trolls tweeted this out. Jealous. How sad.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, there definitely is that angle too. She’s committing not just one, but three unpardonable sins in the view of all too many people: she’s young, she’s a woman, and she’s not bending over backwards to be polite and respectful to people who deserve neither politeness nor respect. (Ie. Trump.)

5 Likes

I’m old, I know, but does anyone remember the Thunberg of the 1980s – Samantha Smith? (and no, I don’t believe the conspiracy theories in regard to her death)

5 Likes

What dystopic speculative fiction novel do we live in, where a US President taunts 16 year-olds he’s envious of? We all know what his puerile motivation is: “Waaa! She won Person of the Year! I wanted to be Person of the Year!!”

Every day, he reliably pulls shit (10-15 flushes’ worth, in fact) that would destroy any other Presidency. I just hope the history books convey exactly how deformed and unusual his insanity is, but somehow in 50 years, I think he’s going to be portrayed as Reagan-quaint or Jacksonian (“he disrupted the status quo!”).

5 Likes

Disagree. This one can only go one of two, diametrically opposed, directions. He is either viewed as the “Kim-esque” founder of the line of God-Kings long destined to rule over the hermit kingdom of USA, or as a raving lunatic who tried but failed to destroy the democratic institutions of this country. We can only hope it is the latter. 2020 will go a long way towards this decision. The foundation is being laid now, and the idea of his offspring succeeding him has been openly floated. Scary as hell, man.

7 Likes

12 Likes

So I recall reading a month or two ago that Thurnberg dismissed an environmental action award (substantial sum of money included), and insisted that all she really wanted was real change. Did she “accept” the TIME recognition, or did the magazine just scoop her photograph from somewhere? I’m just wondering why she would sign up for the TIME exposure, but not the other award. Penny for your thoughts…

I had no idea she had died. I remember news videos of her visiting Moscow.