Climbers fined $860,000 for drilling holes in a UNESCO protected rock formation

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/08/climbers-fined-860000-for-dr.html

5 Likes

So you have to be arrogant enough to do this, plus stupid enough not to realize that if you’re caught you’re subject to the Chinese justice system, which is not known for its gentleness. Wow.

24 Likes

Where were they from?

3 Likes

Isn’t the whole point of using drones that you can get footage from vantages that would normally be inaccessible to human beings?

21 Likes

What’s the big deal? It only took 4.5 billion years to create.

3 Likes

looks like they wanted to take fancy footage of themselves on the top.

7 Likes

I couldn’t find a source for their nationality, but their names are "Zhang Yongming, Mao Weiming, and Zhang Lu” so I’m going to guess that they are Chinese.

5 Likes

Thanks, couldn’t find the nationality either.

2 Likes

Is it legal to climb that thing at all?

1 Like

“Make sure the camera gets us from every angle so there is no ambiguity when it is used as evidence against us at trial!”

19 Likes

So, will their Instagram-fueled influencer income cover the fine?

3 Likes
6 Likes

Good. About time people started getting reminded they aren’t the only ones on this planet.

4 Likes

YEAH! Big rocks are people too!

1 Like

I would have twisted the knife a bit – fined them $860,001.99 – then threaten to come down even harder if they didn’t pay up to the last penny. A psychological spit in the eye.

Why? Vanity.

2 Likes

But… that’s not how climbing…
…I can’t.

That’s a pretty impressive formation. It’s too bad those idiots bolted it. Really, if something is that important you need to be able to climb it clean or just not climb it at all. Maybe the latter even if you could do it clean.

2 Likes

Well - I don’t think the folks who bolted routes at The Great Arch at Getu got fined.

Or at Moon Hill

So I can see why they though it was no big whoop. They probably should have checked first.

Will they now rename it Piton Rock?

1 Like