China's "Darevil Stone" demolished due to people taking risky photos on its edge

Originally published at: China's "Darevil Stone" demolished due to people taking risky photos on its edge | Boing Boing

1 Like

This headline though…

8 Likes

They really took a risk on the spelling.

10 Likes

Weird. I didn’t even notice the misspelling until opening the comments. I guess my brain’s autocorrect works.

9 Likes

Soo… now you fixed the “it’s” and “photos”, but not “Darevil”?

3 Likes

Meanwhile, in Norway

7 Likes

Behold, the Nopehammer.

7 Likes

It’s a shame that they couldn’t have mitigated the danger while allowing the same dramatic photos by adding a safety platform that gets cropped out of photos.

Harold Lloyd really was high up and untethered when climbing that clock tower in that iconic scene, but he wasn’t really in any particular danger.

1ts2ctzdhyb91

9 Likes

omg. why is that bedding above the lip of the edge! also, did he ever make another film? :scream_cat:

i keep seeing videos on instagram of people climbing a stone staircase that leads to a giant carved hand. in every shot it looks like the stairs and the hand are hanging over infinite nothingness. i’m assuming that it’s something like that clock, but have never bothered to try to track down where or what it is

5 Likes

Buddha’s Hand in Guangdong? It does extend out over a cliff, but there is a safety net underneath.

5 Likes

That’s a shame. They can still take a picture at the new cliff edge. Is that so much less dangerous?

3 Likes

"Although the rock was never a legitimate ticketed attraction, people kept venturing to the outcrop for photos, so local authorities decided to just tear it down to prevent an accident.*

so much subtext…

4 Likes

yeah, that’s it. thanks! it looks wild when shot from below. i’ve never seen it in full context like that, and everything makes more sense now.

i wonder if anyone’s ever been brave enough to test the net :thinking:

2 Likes

For maximum nope, visit Trolltunga in Skjeggedal:

1 Like

This seems silly. It’s still a cliff and there’s no shortage of other rocks on cliffs in China. Are they going to go around demolishing all of them? Then putting guardrails on all of nature? Then wrapping people in bubble wrap?

China is in a real “man’s dominion over nature” phase right now and this feels like yet another symptom of it.

3 Likes

“Darevil.”

7 Likes

Not sure if you’re being serious, but yes, Harold Lloyd made lots of movies, and lived to be almost 80.

2 Likes

yeah, just me being me. ( ive tried being other people but it was unconvincing. and anyways they always complained )

2 Likes

We’re gonna need a bigger box of dynamite…

1 Like

“This is why we can’t have nice things…”