Treacherous road carved into a sheer cliff face

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/27/treacherous-road-carved-into-a-sheer-cliff-face.html

8 Likes

Is there a traffic light at each end?

Here’s another video with more facts. It’s 1.2km long apparently.

7 Likes

Those mountains in China are

9 Likes

Something odd with the youtube embed. When I click on the video to play it or to copy the URL it freezes the whole page.

ETA: this should work.

5 Likes

IMG_0191

9 Likes

It is astounding what people can do by hand.

How many 11’8" signs are there?

8 Likes

I note the spot on the road where it looks like a huge triangular slab ‘let go’ from above. I really hope that was before and not during the ‘hand carving’ process of road making.

3 Likes

This is a lot less distressing to me than professionally-constructed 2-lane mountain roads I have seen at comparable sites in the US and Spain. I’m fine with a road being high up; I’m less fine with it being designed (by people from elsewhere) to let folks drive at highway speeds without any special concession to the whole mountain thing.

9 Likes

Sounds like a libertarian paradise. You want to get somewhere? Carve your own damn road! /s

6 Likes

Recently added Chongqing to my bucket list as I keep seeing mind blowing scenery and irresistibly quaint old towns all over the social mejias.
Will happily take recommendations as I can’t quite figure out how to put together a decent itinerary once there. Not found any good (English language) resources so far.

1 Like

I just have to watch video of these kinds of narrow, cliff-side roads from various parts of the world, and I get the collywobbles. I wouldn’t want to ever actually be in a vehicle driving on one - especially given how fast some of the drivers inevitably seem to be going. Regular mountain-side roads freak me out enough as it is.

1 Like

Narrow treacherous roads like this are pretty common around the world, and applying North American/European notions of modern traffic control is definitely misplaced. A good example is the infamous Death Road in Bolivia. It is much like this one in China, but heavily trafficked by buses and heavy-haul trucks in both directions. No lanes, no traffic control, no guard rails. Vehicles frequently have to reverse for miles when there isn’t room to get around each other. It’s a critical route through La Paz that saves days of driving the long way around, so people tolerate the danger and generally insanity of it. The cost of making it safer would be astronomical, and the country is poor, so it just is what it is. And you won’t see me driving it. :grimacing:

5 Likes

My palms get sweaty just playing video games where the protagonist is having to scale heights.

3 Likes

It was a joke. :wink:

:woman_facepalming: Apologies, 2020 has completely shorted out my sense of humour. I’ve forgotten how to not take everything seriously.

5 Likes

No worries. I should have :wink: 'd

If you think that road looks treacherous now just imagine trying to pass during winter while an evil wizard is summoning a blizzard to impede your progress.

caradhras-pass

7 Likes

I’m… not great with heights myself, but normally depictions/videos don’t bother me that much. For some reason mountainside roads are one of the few exceptions that do.

2 Likes

It is not the falling off that bothers me, it is the unsupported mountain overhang.

3 Likes

Zion National Park highway.

4 Likes