This is the world's most dangerous road

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/01/worlds-most-dangerous-road.html

5 Likes

They wanted to make sure everyone was aware it was designed by the Russian military.

11 Likes

That reminds me of the first time I was with Swiss friends on the way to kayak at Versam :switzerland:. The old (1920’s?) road is one lane, two-way traffic, with wood barriers between you and just a wee bit of a plummet. I asked about this precarious arrangement and was told “if they put stronger barriers up, people would just drive too fast”. (This is what the :switzerland: call “humour”.)

I see some of the barriers have indeed been upgraded in the last 25 years. :slightly_smiling_face:

There were some switchbacks on the way up where the VW Golf I had needed to be in second gear.

9 Likes

This is actually true. Human nature is so stupid some times.

13 Likes

You haven’t seen my Dad drive.
Every fucking road is the world’s most dangerous road.

13 Likes

I was just thinking, “That would be a lunatic place to go rally racing.”; then I clicked on the video. Redbull, “Hold my energy drink!” :astonished:

7 Likes

This does appear to be quite dangerous, but what is the reward in traversing it? I see at least one vehicle that veered off the road and slid down the sheer mountainside. Is the reward worth the risk?

By the way, has anyone here traveled from Kathmandu to Pokhara aboard a Nepali Tata? It doesn’t go up just one mountainside like this one built in 1916 but every bend around the mountainside–don’t look down, feels frightening, not to mention the hollow shells of fallen buses in the valley hundreds of feet below a hairpin bend. The guardrails for that road essentially consists of rocks bundled together and enclosed by chicken wire. At least, it’s paved.

6 Likes

It’s not harrowing unless you’re a passenger on a long-range bus where the driver is on a tight deadline and there is equally insane traffic coming the other way.

5 Likes

It’s worth checking the whole road system there in that valley on Google Earth. Looks like it’s just a regular part of life there.

https://earth.google.com/web/search/N+40+27'32"+E+40+16'10"/@40.56597974,40.2299995,1565.26760616a,11677.02586082d,35y,236.31051024h,0t,0r/data=CigiJgokCRlWER5OlURAETtW9MhvUkRAGanHq_wOTkRAIf01FiDe9UNAOgMKATA

3 Likes

I wonder what the statistics are compared to that one highway in Australia:

9 Likes

jim-goose-snafu

5 Likes

When I was down to Melbourne from California for business immediately pre-COVID, I took a later flight specifically so I could drive over at look at this place. No ankles were removed in the taking of this photograph.

Some lady stopped me and (kindly) asked if I needed help – when I tried to explain why I had stopped to poke around this bridge she had absolutely no idea what I was on about.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.