Clubhouse tells Microsoft Program Manager she can't join because her name isn't real

right!? and the “everybody has exactly two names” falacy seems like it should known by at least somebody in a decent ux team.

( that clubhouse page has one first name and one last name box. )

4 Likes

I’ve seen people walk around with beautiful tattoos in Chinese, except that all the characters were in mirror image.

Not usually the sort of person you want to annoy by mentioning this, though. They might decide to take it out on you first and the tattoo “artist” second.

2 Likes

I hate that the iMost has been so demonized that we’ve ended up describing things like cakes as “damp.”

3 Likes

Dated an English girl in undergrad. She thought that the “American Fanny Pack” was the funniest thing ever…

“Phoooar! You can just go into a store and buy a fanny pack? I’ll have to remember that when I’m lonely…”

She had a delightful sense of humor… humour?

7 Likes

Or this:

Or this:

5 Likes

I suppose Clubhouse is the one in the wrong here, the one who should be making the change to accomodate her, but has Ms. “Candi” Poon seriously considered changing her name, anyway? I’m sure Hugh Jazz and Anita Bathe know what I’m talking about. :smiley:

That, at least, indicates someone actually did some work on that tattoo. They did it wrong, but work was done. With so many of the “Chinese character” tattoos I see, they’re malformed gibberish, which means everyone at every step of the process was lazy, incurious and/or incompetent, including the recipient.

1 Like

Yeah, this can be very hard when English is not your first language. You actually have to learn quite a few words and expressions differently for several regions and countries. You need a map to find the correct word for a can of carbonated drink!

About that C-word: To most English speakers it is a very rude word only to be used sparingly if ever at all. In some other places if you don’t use it every other sentence they think you are a w*nker :smiley:

2 Likes

Clubhouse is an iOS app. It’s difficult that will work with PROGMAN.EXE in windows 3.1

Reaaly I was expecting some amusing retrocomputing story…

I think we have enough problems with real names

Anthony Philip David Terry Frank Donald Stanley Gerry Gordon Stephen James is his first name. Yes, all of it.

Britain was so close to having a John Smith (supposedly Britain’s most common men’s name) as PM, but he died and we got Tony Blair instead.

6 Likes

That sounds like a challenge. There was a version of PROGMAN.EXE in Windows 95, was it 32 bit?

2 Likes

Would rather have iMost than Damp. Dark unused corners in basements are damp. Damp isn’t the word to describe something desirable.

1 Like

The Turkish word for cunt is ‘am’, pronunced ‘um’. So if you’re someone who uses, um, filler words a lot, you might raise a few, um, eyebrows when speaking to a Turk.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.