Co-creator of “Rick and Morty” prank calls Joel Osteen’s megachurch prayer line

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/09/06/co-creator-of-rick-and-mort.html

2 Likes

What a fuckin’ scam.

2 Likes

Rick Sanchez talking in tongues was amazing, but watching Alex Hirsch nearly blow a blood vessel from laughing made that so much more worthwhile.

10 Likes

Really hope some of this audio makes it into a future episode.

8 Likes

He should put it in next season’s multiverse cable TV episode.

I do wish he had included one of Rick’s patented burps, but truly wonderful as-is. That scumbag Osteen is a deserving target.

4 Likes

A handsome young pastor with a million-dollar smile who preaches that “Jesus wants you to be rich” ?

That couldn’t possibly be a con, now could it?

11 Likes

tumblr_oukjowV4oY1tr4l5uo1_400

9 Likes

I may have to give Rick and Morty another try. The one time I tried to watch it I couldn’t get past the stupid.

2 Likes

You are missing a lot then. “The Stupid” is not something I would ever use to describe Rick and Morty.

9 Likes

The stupid is definitely an intentional part of it. I think one of the promotional taglines for the season was “Only a show this smart could be this stupid.”

6 Likes

Advertising for it? sure. Actual content of show? Not to me.
“The stupid” in similar genre would be shows like Family Guy, ATHF, etc. to me.

R&M on its surface is weird wacky science fiction adventures but underneath is a deep reflection on the human condition in the infinite universe.

8 Likes

I’m as atheist as the next guy, but this was just pathetic. It’s like kicking a baby. We get it. You are stronger than the baby. You don’t need to kick the baby.

I guess if Rick (Morty?) had been a little more clever or the prayer operator had shown cynicism (eg, actively pressing him for money), it might’ve created a different impression.

There was no Osteen/feet of clay moment here.

2 Likes

For the first half, I’d agree; he’s just prank-calling and low-level driving trollies Osteen’s prayer line, which is low hanging fruit right now. But to stop responding to his requests to talk to Joel and launch into actual speaking in tongues is way more crazy than this crowd (who, incidentally, was running a fundraiser for Hurricane Harvey, not just hanging out for a podcast) was expecting, and truly inspired. Not a bad way to raise over $100,000.

10 Likes

The improvisational and seemingly chaotic nature of the script and plot is quite deliberate, but if you stick with it, it’s one of the smartest shows on television.

4 Likes

I, also, did not get Rick and Morty the first time, but then it was one of the more convoluted multidimensional ones (which is saying something). Now, I’m in love with this show. Also, I got to see that episode again and this time it was amazing.

1 Like

season 2 will rip your heart out with tone shifts.

7 Likes

I’m listening to this thinking the Praline lady is totally out-pranking the caller. She is working it.

3 Likes

I hear ya. I watched the first episode and wanted to throw a brick through the tv with the painfully repetitious “Morty” every 10 seconds. It gets a lot better.

3 Likes

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

5 Likes

Do give it another try!

If you don’t want to start with the first episode I would recommend “Meeseeks and Destroy”, it’s my personal favorite and I think it’s got a good mix of all the stuff that makes Rick and Morty work (smart jokes, dark turns and fun concepts).

2 Likes