Coffee ice cream recipe

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/14/coffee-ice-cream-recipe.html

3 Likes

I’m a little surprised this recipe didn’t involve Anne growing her own beans, building her own roaster, and using milk from her own cows to make ice cream ultimately put in bowls turned using a hand-forged lathe.

7 Likes

A more effective method (because it doesn’t involve adding extra water) is to make your custard, then steep coarse-ground coffee in it while it is still hot, then strain it out. You can just break the beans up into big chunks to make this easier; it doesn’t need to be finely ground. Just let it steep to the desired strength. Use as much coffee as you would for however much liquid volume you are making.

5 Likes

Sometimes I buy these.

Lower fat, lower acid (because: coldbrew).
Less work.
Sometimes I make my own.

4 Likes

“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.” – Carl Sagan.

6 Likes

I make lots of ice cream. I believe this is a far from an ideal recipe. One rule for ice cream making is to avoid dumping in ingredients that add significantly to the water content of the overall mixture. When you dump in brewed espresso like that, the final frozen texture of the ice cream will likely have noticeable ice crystals.

She might be able to counteract all that extra espresso flavored water by using 100% heavy cream and nix the skim or by slow simmering the mix to boil off excess water. The best option in my experience is to, as someone already mentioned, brew the coffee directly in the hot cream. Use a cheese cloth bag to make a sort of tea bag.

6 Likes

I’ve had good luck with the NYT recipe (very similar to the one in the video) and suggests steeping coarsely ground coffee. It also has a bunch of suggestions for riffing with other flavors. At a former place I worked they just added instant coffee crystals. It’s amazing how much the quality and brand of coffee matters (which goes against using instant)

2 Likes

Yes, I, too, prefer leaning into the miseries of life in these troubled times.

2 Likes

what do you do when you have perfection is to sell it… tell me about it… ooops
maybe not now

in other news… the forgotten people…

…and whole cloves… but what about ground nutmeg

1 Like

This is so cute. (Okay, the ice chill followed by the ice cream machine wasn’t so cute, that’s a lot of accessories.) It’s like she’s the daughter of the Protein yogi from Aggretsuko and her fam. never necessarily knew that a Reba Milkintyre and the chickens were being kept. I sure hope this coffee tree rust thing gets sorted.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.