How to make chocolate chip coffee ice cream without a machine

[Read the post]

Come for the ice cream tutorial, stay for the ASMR :slight_smile: Also try the next one that comes up—“A slice of Spring and Summer”—and then “India shopping” :slight_smile:

As someone who is lactose intolerant, I’ve been making real vanilla ice cream using lactase treated heavy cream at home. My wife and I bought a fancy schmancy ice cream maker with a cooling unit so it makes it really easy, but for the first time in a long time I was able to have real vanilla ice cream.

Soy milk and all those are fine in certain applications (my morning coffee generally gets soy milk), but they’re not real replacements for moo cow milk, and fresh made vanilla ice cream is truly one of my favorite things in the whole world.

2 Likes

Making it with much less sugar might not work. The sugar content in a given ice cream recipe is an important part of how it freezes up. More sugar = creamier/softer/less crystalline ice cream. If there’s a high amount in this recipe its likely there to compensate for the fact that the machineless freezing process leads to a noticeably icy ice cream. You’d have to make a significant change somewhere, add alcohol, more fat, stabilizers or more likely freeze it faster and whip it more. Which will likely require a machine. Or a stand mixer and some liquid nitrogen (fun!). But I bet you could get it to work with some reading and some trial by error. Or by trying another method

I’ve heard good things about this method:

2 Likes

Would it still be thick enough to freeze correctly if made with espresso instead of instant coffee?

Any added water content is going to skew it to more and larger ice crystals. Instant coffee (especially instant espresso) is a really common bakers/pastry ingredients for that reason. It keeps hydration levels and chemistry under tight control while adding a lot of coffee flavor.

This confirms something I long suspected, and dredges up unpleasant childhood memories of batches of home-made ice cream ruined because someone in the family insisted on “naturally” sweetening it with honey. Which may as well have been antifreeze.

No actually liquid sugars, either corn syrup or honey are commonly used in ice cream to help improve texture. I don’t remember the precise concept but because they’re non-crystalline sugar but add little water (even honey is mostly if not all sugar) they help keep things soft and prevent ice crystal formation (anti freeze is good here).

That said all honey or syrup without solid sugars leads to gummy, sticky, soft ice cream IIRC. Or too much sugar of any kind

No-churn ice cream has been around for a while. I’ve made several variations for years.

Different sugar molecules. Corn syrup is fructose. Sugar is sucrose, a disaccharide of glucose and fructose. The corn syrup is basically running interference. It gets in the way of the sucrose molecules so they can’t form large crystals.That’s a common trick in candy making.

True, but espresso is probably fine since htere’s not a ton of water in there, and too much fat can do a weird mouthfeel.

Does anyone else see Jesus in the gif? It caught my eye when I first saw it, and I assumed that’s what the article would be about–some nutjobs seeing Jesus in ice cream. Well, erm, not nutjobs necessarily…

1 Like

Corn syrup isn’t fructose, its has more fructose and it isn’t bonded to the sucrose. And honey has even more fructose (even more than HFCS, which has more than regular on the shelves corn syrup). But otherwise yes, IIRC the fewer and smaller the sugar crystals the less they provide a starting point for ice crystals, and more and larger ice crystals are the enemy.

Well the espresso is still almost totally water. And the instant stuff contains none at all. But so long as you remove an equivalent amount of water from the mix you’d be fine. I do remember that in baking fresh liquid coffee can often taste less like coffee in the finished product than instant, even if you keep the liquids all balanced out. But ice cream is not baked after assembly. And I’ve made “mocha” ice cream by tossing cold liquid coffee and some chocolate syrup in a stand mixer with already made vanilla at restaurants. It tasted pretty damn good. and didn’t get any icier upon refreezing.

I think when I try this I will substitute smashed up dark chocolate covered coffee beans. It will impart less coffee flavour to the ice cream, I think, but crunchy bits of dark chocolate and coffee bean will be a good addition and enough coffee for me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.