Cognitive bias in software development considered harmful

[Permalink]

(“a shortcut that saves me a day’s work now is OK, even it costs me ten days’ fixing in a year”)

I think it’s more that short-term thinking prevents even worrying about that future maintenance. Especially when stuff has to be fixed/released RIGHT NOW or when the developer is just fumbling along or sick of this particular problem at the moment.

Sometimes the opposite happens: overengineering and really robust design and perfect implementation of a feature that isn’t going to be used, or two weeks’ development time that will save someone a few minutes of work once a year.

3 Likes

I would add optimism bias to the list, which leads us to discount the possibility of unknown phenomena of unknown relevance.

3 Likes

This example wasn’t in the original article, so I assume @doctorow created it.

A Google search to find out what “bull-goose” is was very… interesting. Something to do with strap-ons, apparently.

3 Likes

Which bias is it where you deliberately do just the easy stuff and keep putting off the difficult work and then tell customers that it’s on the long term roadmap - scheduled for release in 2 years?

I’m gonna call it the Low Hanging Fruit bias.

4 Likes

hyperbolic discounting (“a shortcut that saves me a day’s work now is OK, even it costs me ten days’ fixing in a year”)

In some companies that’s called job security. Also, hourly pay.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.