Coherent Ham-Fisted Leftist Films

… please submit your nominations below :fist:

2 Likes
4 Likes

Mostly coherent anyway.

1 Like
1 Like
4 Likes

I thought this was an awesome example (though not ham fisted).

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt7902124/

4 Likes

Come on guys, you call those examples “leftist?” Try this on for size:

3 Likes
4 Likes

Ham! And chicken! Fish! Cucumber!

2 Likes

Maybe not ham-fisted, but it woukd sure look that way to American conservatives. Free medical care!?! A non-punitive prison and legal system!?! Feminism!?! Journalism!?!

7 Likes

Brassed Off

Ah yes, that’s a good one!

4 Likes

Mike Leigh (in the top five of my favorite directors), a gifted and reliable leftist, but he’s up in the audiences’ face here when given his largest ever budget. (I’ll try to rewatch again in the near future.)

4 Likes

I love Joaquin Rodrigo’s Concierto de Aranjuez and the brass version of a typically string and guitar piece is amazing.

3 Likes

Ham-fisted? Check. Leftist? Check. Coherent? Maybe.

4 Likes

Oh. Good point. Add this, then:

5 Likes

Strange that I remember so little about that one (and Turner), and so much about most of his smaller scale films. Another Year is probably my favorite, including Leslie Manville’s heatbreaking role.

4 Likes

Excepting the break I took from watching Peterloo, I’ve watched all his films and enjoyed them all. Manville was excellent in AY. (It took far, far too long for her to be generally ‘discovered’.) If you haven’t yet, watch Grown-Ups (another Mike Leigh small film, made for TV). Manville is in it, and I believe it was her first time working with Leigh. The film starts with a subtle tension that builds exponentially (I’m not kidding) that results in the hilarious stairway scene. (If you haven’t seen it yet, note that Manville brilliantly plays opposite Daniel Day-Lewis in Phantom Thread.)

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ve seen a lot of Leigh’s tv stuff, maybe not that one. I see it’s on the YouTubes!

Loved her in “Mum.”

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.