Cold War Soviet gas masks available on Amazon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/17/cold-war-soviet-gas-masks-avai.html

2 Likes

BioShock cosplay coming right up…

11 Likes

Are you my mummy?

12 Likes

Oh, they were ubiquitous in the 1990ies. Cheap to come by. Depending on the occasion/location/dress code you’d see a lot of them.
Not that comfortable to wear if you had long, thick hair.

6 Likes

Oh, man! I bought a bunch of these for $5 a piece like 10/15 years ago at Building 19 (local discount dept store). They would buy odd and damaged goods. I still have few I trot out around Halloween or when cutting onions.

4 Likes

Were those a thing? Trying to Google only turns up hits about people using filters to remove asbestos rather than filters made of asbestos.

2 Likes

Oh yes, filters made of asbestos were indeed a thing.. Also see here.

2 Likes

6 Likes

13 Likes

Another reason why the survivors will envy the dead.

1 Like

Dye it dark brown, sew in some contrasting filigree details, attach a couple of small yet elaborate sunshade flaps to the lenses, glue on some raised seemingly functional raised features to the surfaces, paint on pseudo-tech-info (in gothic script) on the canister, and you’ve got yourself a great start for a steam-punk cosplay costume.

2 Likes

These are still manufactured in China and can be bought new on AliExpress for about 20$.
A word of warning though - that type of mask is not compatible with standard NATO filters - the thread is nearly identical, but the filter won’t seal.

2 Likes

Do they come in black with dog ears?

/asking for a friend

3 Likes

Not Zero! He was my favorite cybergoth! Somebody must have disabled his mask, he always wore it.

3 Likes

I see on Amazon you can get a gas mask for $6.90 . . .

. . but that’s for the old masks with asbestos filters.

2 Likes

Don’t trust the filters, especially if they aren’t sealed. It’s hit or miss. They likely expired when Brezhnev was First Secretary.

If you’re looking for something that will protect you at events where you might be exposed to CN/CS or similar, look into the full-face commercial masks with larger viewing areas by North or 3M with standard activated charcoal filters. There are also teargas specific filters.

Not that I’ve invested in anything like this…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.