Collaborating in Fortnite

It’s not that nuanced. You can build walls, floors, roofs, or stairs, but can’t really customize them.

1 Like

With the amount of noise we’re making we must be chock full of the valuable stuff.

I like that, but it would be nice if it had some limited form of communication, perhaps a carefully chosen set of hand signals or emotes that would be appropriate. Hearthstone does well with that - you’re limited to a half dozen non-offensive things that your character can say to your opponent.

1 Like

Anyone tried using the iOS version?

That’s all I use as my ancient Mac can’t even run it. Loads fast, works great for me, though I’m an extremely casual player (a few times a week) so I’m not the most demanding reviewer, to be fair.

2 Likes

This reminds me of Minecraft Servers where the “guard” action with the sword was a semi-well recognized form of “Hello, let’s not fight.”

Cooperation in single player mode is against the game rules and may result in a ban. To build you have to gather a resource (wood, stone, metal). The construct units are quite large (floor sqaure, ramp, wall) so to lay out enough material in a flat space would take the time to gather material and the time to try to hash it out. Getting killed in the meantime cancels the effort.

In the single player mode they don’t have a floating name tag like it does in the cooperative duo and 4-squad modes, but when you get killed the text crawl in the lower left shows who killed you. If you want to communicate later you can write down their PS network name and send them a friend request.

…but if you really wanted to try to transmit a phone number, lay out groups of floor squares to the corresponding digit. Separate the 3-3-4 sequence with wall squares?

Or just kill them and get the PSN id. Send them a friend request after.

1 Like

I don’t want to be a buzzkill and tear down the author’s interesting work, but Cooperation in single player mode is against the game rules and may result in a ban.

What Sloan doesn’t mention is that another interesting challenge in team mode is when you have a headset but one or more of your teammates does not. They can still hear you through the audio mix. So you wind up transmitting in the blind, GRAVITY-style, and establish that 1. they can hear you 2. they can respond to your questions by kneeling, spinning around, replying with other game emojis.

The hardest challenge is when you get teamed up with people who don’t speak a language you know well. A couple of years of elementary school Spanish and reading everyday bi-lingual signage almost gets me by. “Lo siento, no habla” “Si!” “Cuidado!” I’m still waiting to hear a French speaker.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.