Collector shows off his complete set of 1,244 Game Boy games

Originally published at: Collector shows off his complete set of 1,244 Game Boy games | Boing Boing

3 Likes

A+ on the shelving for the titles and handhelds

1 Like

Part of me sees this as pointless, just a waste of space and money when every Game Boy title is easily emulated and stored in a trivially small amount of disk space. But the museum-worthy display really is wonderful to look at, a summation of an entire era of gaming. Admittedly, though, it would be pretty dull visually without the actual Game Boy systems included.

1 Like

It’s someone’s passion and hobby, there doesn’t need to be a point to it. I myself am a collector of various things and constantly have to deal with other people’s scorn or judgement on the things that bring me joy or captivate my interest. Meanwhile other people spend thousands of dollars on socially acceptable hobbies like going to NFL games and no one bats an eyelash.

In this person’s defense, none of their time and money was wasted. A complete game library like this is more valuable together than individually, and its not like any of the items will lose value. Though as a fellow collector, investing is rarely the driving force but merely a nice bonus.

3 Likes

Didn’t you used to need to have two copies of Mario Tennis in order to play PvP?

If memory serves, you needed two copies to play any GameBoy game PvP.

1 Like

But has he played them all?

I’m sure someone’s going to be like:

ezgif-4-722382564211

In all seriousness, that’s a damn impressive collection.

2 Likes

But were there really any other PvP gameboy games than Tennis?

Tetris is the only other one I can think of. I’m sure there were, but the PvP requirements meant it was usually easier to just find someone with an NES/SNES.

1 Like

I am mildly curious about why it is dangerous to collect alone

Pokemon?

If you walk in the tall grass then wild game boy cartridges may attack you.

1 Like

F1 Race

1 Like

Does anyone know if he, or anyone else, has a list of all 1,244 games? Wayyyyy back in the early days of the GameBoy I attempted to maintain a public list of every GB cartridge on Usenet. Got to several hundred titles, then life got in the way. I would really like to see that complete list.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.