Colorado dentist arrested for suspected murder after allegedly poisoning his wife's protein shakes

The warrant that @jerwin linked to included the paragraph:

I suspect that there’s nothing like a mysterious death where you are the prime suspect to make your affairs look even less well ordered than usual; but a bankruptcy filing followed by having your struggling medical practice acquired, followed by being back on the verge of bankruptcy again sounds like it gives an indigence claim something to work with.

8 Likes

Is anyone else slightly horrified by the part where “due to the forensic detective being off work” the non-forensic detective “plugged the hard drive(an optiplex 3070 apparently misidentified as a hard drive) into a TV to look at the history” and just started poking at a computer seized as evidence live, network connected, no write blocking, just taking pictures of the TV?

Luckily for our intrepid investigator it would appear that the suspect did no track covering whatsoever; but that’s a chillingly low tier exercise in digital forensics.

7 Likes

The symptoms are pretty generic gastrointestinal pain and diarrhea, and the suspicion level would be low.

1 Like

We used it in the 1970 as an ingredient in some medical lab tests - I don’t remember what the test was for, but I remember it was kept in the “cage” with some other dangerous stuff and being careful to not snort the powder.

2 Likes

I couldn’t find a reasonable use for it in surgery in thirty seconds of googling, but it’s not that uncommon to have to change an organic compound slightly in order to either separate it from the rest of the sample or just to detect it properly. (Apparently a cyanide compound (sodium nitroprusside) is used to help measure ketones in urine, but I don’t see how that would be used in surgery.)

I remember having to modify a pesticide we were studying with a mildly explosive compound in order to do the analysis. Not only would the damn thing explode if you shook it, but you had to make it fresh at least twice a week. It was an enormous pain in the ass.

(The name of the compound is escaping me at the moment–this was thirty years ago.)

1 Like

Yeah there was a real window of time to save her life in this case and people had the information.

6 Likes

I guess they didn’t hear she’d been at the hospital multiple times.

If symptoms are bad enough for me to go to the hospital once, I might be convinced something odd happened. The second time, I’d have questions and want answers. YMMV. I had blood work and a stool sample taken in a case of suspected food poisoning. The results and investigation led to a restaurant inspection, temporary shutdown, citation, etc. That was after just one trip to the ER. :woman_shrugging:t4:. It makes me wonder if someone downplayed the situation with the HCWs.

7 Likes

I mean it’s pure speculation but it seems possible she was there at the time with the murderer, who being a spouse probably had a lot of influence over how she was perceived at the hospital…so yeah… Likely imo.

6 Likes

For further reading, “Murder by Milkshake.”

2 Likes

In this case, the suspect allegedly rejected arsenic for cyanide, but here’s a continuing education unit on detecting arsenic poisoning.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.