Colorado runner chokes 80-pound mountain lion to death

of course, if you’re Rick Perry you just shoot the mountain lion with the gun you jog with for some odd reason.

1 Like

Coyotes are far more civilized.

2 Likes

Counterpoint;

32 Likes

An 80-pound juvenile could be underweight; males apparently average 150 pounds and females 90 pounds. So maybe it was injured/ill? (That could maybe explain how this guy could strangle it? If it was rabid, it could explain why the mountain lion didn’t break off the attack under threat of losing its life.)

Also, mountain lions are well used to playing “how not to be seen,” as they regularly avoid humans, just as they’ve avoided bears and wolves for thousands of years so as not to be killed by these apex predators. A human alone might be too tempting for some of them, however.

https://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/LivingwithWildlifeLion2.aspx

5 Likes

I know some part of my outdoor wear from that time forward would contain a whole lot of dead kitty hide. Maybe he could get some kind of little recording thing that speaks dead kitty and suggests running away at great speed might be a good idea.

2 Likes

But if you’ve skinned the chicken, your grip was probably too strong.

2 Likes

I hear some cougars pay extra for that!

I’ll show myself out…

7 Likes

Also:

1 Like

The ol’ Frankentoss.
Frankenstein_Throwing_Girl

Yes, please do. :expressionless:

1 Like

Choking out an 80 pound lion does not sound like a very easy thing to do. I wonder if this guy had any defense training.

I was attacked by a bear at a gay campground. I just beat him off.

20 Likes

juvenile mountain lion

So… a kitten? “Athlete strangles kitten to death” doesn’t quite read the same way.

(I kid, obviously not a kitten. 80 pounds is a big boi.)

I guess that makes sense - if the animal is small enough to cover with your thumb, all distances are safe distances, because that’s a teeny tiny little critter that can’t hurt you. Unless it’s venomous, I guess. Though a mountain lion small enough to cover with your thumb, that’s some mad scientist shit right there, so maybe it’s radioactive or something, so you should be worried about that.

5 Likes

Crazy story. Reminded me of Gene Moe who, at 69, fought and killed a 750 lb Kodiak brown bear with a buck knife

https://shouldersofgiants.com/2016/07/24/ultimate-bear-story/

1 Like

This is not a wonderful thing.

9 Likes
7 Likes

What if the animal has already eaten both of your thumbs

3 Likes

Well, you’d better do that, then. You’ll be fine. :wink:

1 Like

Did the runner previously strangle two pythons in his crib?

4 Likes

And don’t think it wasn’t appreciated.

3 Likes