Gentleman decides it's a good idea to bother a mother bear with three cubs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/15/gentleman-decides-its-a-good.html

3 Likes

Going to assume there was video for this?

6 Likes

They couldn’t bear to post it.

25 Likes

old white dudes…dumbass fits.

4 Likes

Too stupid to know how stupid he is.

11 Likes

Did not die, no lesson learned.

32 Likes

Plot twist - they were all dumbasses the whole time.

Now, granted, black bears are smaller and considered less hostile than brown grizzlies bears. But they will still fuck you up and a mother with cubs is going to be the most aggressive to protect her young.

Also, if you thinking standing on your car is going to save you, I have bad news for you (they can climb really well!)

26 Likes

Your application for the Darwin Award is under consideration…

16 Likes

Might be worth it to buy this specimen a ticket to Pamplona next year.

13 Likes

Didn’t read any YT descriptions or comments, but it seems that the guy was trying to dissuade the bear family from crossing the “road”. But his talking to the bears and pointing in the direction they should go would in itself garner a dumbass designation from me, too.

It’s pretty amazing to see that the bear kids are wary of this hairless ape, and once he was moved back out of the way, the kids scurried safely across the street, with mama bear looking to see that all her kids were accounted for. Pretty amazing behavior to observe.

10 Likes

Obligatory Far Side references

far_side1

46 Likes

The bear missed an excellent opportunity to help clean up the human gene pool. One less mouth-breather is only a start but still…

7 Likes

That pun was unbearable.

10 Likes

Brought to you in exciting, new VERTICAL-SCOPE!

20 Likes

he was still standing there smiling after the mama bear charged, so, yeah, didn’t learn a damn thing. if the cubs didn’t run off, this guy would have gotten mauled for sure.

6 Likes

you don’t need to out run the bear, just your slowest friend (i.e. the guy helping (?) the bears cross the street)

2 Likes

very small bear but I’m pretty sure one swat from its paw could easily kill.
I was hiking alone once and coming around a corner of the trail was charged and chased by a big mother black bear with a cub I think she was 40 yards away there was steep embankment to my left. it didn’t take me long to process that black bears unlike grizzlies don’t how to alternate their gate down steep hills. generally one should stand their ground but mad mother with cub make me go awe fuck it and I ran of down the hill screaming in mortal fear. i stubbed my toe on a rock and did a forward roll landing on my feet during which I could clearly hear a loud crashing noise coming through the brush behind me. with out stopping I carried on running and screaming like a little girl, alive and well today to post my story on boingboing.

23 Likes

Standing on the car is not going to save you from a bear determined to maul you - it’s at least likely to save you from the bear becoming determined to maul you.

11 Likes

…the fate of all amateur “evolutionary psychologists” who think that nature loves them best.

3 Likes

Probably not a “gentleman.”

2 Likes