Gentleman decides it's a good idea to bother a mother bear with three cubs

Situations like this need to be handled with Canadian diplomacy:

39 Likes

Huge Cubs fan?

6 Likes

That’s beautiful. Truly, we don’t deserve Canadians.

6 Likes

Right? Old white dudes, such dumbasses. Dummy dum-dums. Gimme five!

2 Likes

<< insert bear attack scene from The Revenant here >>

1 Like

When his wife asks him if a dress makes her look fat, I wonder what his answer is? 'Cause he looks like he don’t have the common sense the Good Lord gave a jaybird.

2 Likes

I simple ‘sorry’ will suffice.

2 Likes

I know I sound like a broken record around these forums, but, once again, with feeling:

When will humans finally learn to leave animals the fuck alone?!

3 Likes

Looks like this clown was trying to feed them at the beginning. I’ve actually witnessed this type of stupidity a few times. Usually people have the good sense to at least stay in their cars while they harass the wildlife. I used to honk my horn and tell them off; now I just drive on, smile and root for the bear (or elk or bull moose).

3 Likes

I’m torn between considering this stupid or plain ignorant.

This looks like it’s in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, which is one of the most popular National Parks east of the Mississippi. There’s going to be a lot of visitors who don’t really have any experience or knowledge of such an environment, or that it’s not a zoo and that yes, those animals live out there.

Could be this guy’s one of the multitude just that don’t know yet that wild animals are, you know, wild; or he could just think he’s ‘special’ and rules/laws of nature don’t apply to them. The former are ignorant. The latter are stupid.

I do some volunteer outdoor first responder work and I encounter lots of the former. I’m not trying to excuse ignorance outdoors as it’s one’s responsibility to have learned and prepared beforehand, but advocate to never stop trying to educate people. Ignorance can be fixed. Stupidity can only be shamed.

4 Likes

He didn’t remove himself from the gene pool, so perhaps only an “Honourable Mention”.
The mother bear was remarkably restrained.

5 Likes

Dr Darwin will see you now.

That moron exemplifies everything you do NOT want to do while in proximity to a black bear, especially a mother with cubs.
-Can confirm. I live in Appalachian mountains, do lots of trail running, and give any/all bears I encounter a wide berth.

4 Likes

It’s actually a myth that bears (of any species) can’t run downhill. They can run faster than humans regardless of slope, and they climb trees very well indeed. Very large bears won’t venture out to the thinnest branches, but unless you are one hell of a monkey-man that won’t necessarily save you either. Climbing a tree may signal to a bear that you are not a threat however, so it is a worthwhile strategy. It saved my friend from a sow grizzly once. It didn’t save a tree planter in northern B.C. from a predatory black bear attack a few years ago. The general wisdom is to fight a black bear attack, with any means at your disposal. When black bears go for you it usually means they mean to eat you. Grizzlies on the other hand will often bluff charge, and in many cases only wish to ensure you are not a threat. And yes you should never run from any bear (or cougar or wolf for that matter), but stand your ground, eyes averted, and make yourself as large as possible, hopefully with bear spray in hand. Finally, bears can’t see that well. It is very common for them, once they detect your scent, to stand up on hind legs to get a better look at you. It looks scary but is non-threatening. This is the best time to get together if you are in a group, wave your arms and make a lot of noise. The very last thing you want to do at that point is run as it may trigger a prey response in the animal. That said, no one can blame you for “running and screaming like a little girl”. In grizzly country I often wonder if I would have the cohones to stand my ground. Hope never to find out.

5 Likes

Pfft. He didn’t even apologize.

I think those bear were very used to humans, and she knew she just had to warn the obnoxious one.

5 Likes

I lost it when he said “I have to go to work”.

1 Like

[quote=“il.luminator, post:33, topic:147803”]In grizzly country I often wonder if I would have the cohones to stand my ground. Hope never to find out.
[/quote]

I’m with you on that. With a lot of grizzly attacks it seems like the person was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Humans aren’t the only the animal capable of impulsive behavior.

The experts are like, “in a grizzly attack you should try to lay on your stomach and use your hands to protect your neck. Try not to let the bear roll you over.” Yeah, I’ll do my best to remember this advice while the bear flays me with his two inch claws, and will make a special effort not to let 800 lbs of muscle and rage toss me around like a rag doll.

2 Likes

I don’t know much about bears, but one thing I do know is that you never, ever get between a mother and her cubs. That’s pretty much the most dangerous position to be in with bears. That dude is a serious dumbass.

3 Likes

Too late. He had bred already. Must start earlier…

PS: Old trail wisdom was for hikers to wear little bells to ward off bears. Next wisdom was, how to tell if it’s grizzly scat? Easy – look for the little bells.

3 Likes

Sorry, eh.

2 Likes