Colorado voting machines banned after conspiracy theorist county clerk let unauthorized person in during upgrades—who then published their passwords

xkcd_crop

Completely OT, but where does that leave self driving cars?

5 Likes

When a groups says “We’re worried about voter fraud! You must let us specifically check the votes!” — do NOT let them specifically check the votes.

7 Likes

look over there! it’s HILLLAARRRRREEEEESSS EEEEEEMMMMAAAAIIILLLL!

2 Likes

The classic republican answer:

“Any rule that harms us must be done away with. Any rule that harms our ideological enemies must be brutally enforced.”

After all, conservatism operates on a single principle:

There should be in groups who are protected but not bound by the law, and outgroups who are bound but in no way protected by the law.

14 Likes

Mmm… buttery males…

Homer Simpson Reaction GIF

4 Likes

Exactly where that comic suggests. Everyone who works in AI (me) and navigation algorithms (also me) is completely and utterly terrified of them. We are 50 years away from the true vision of self driving cars that people have.

13 Likes

This article is accusing her of fraud in the actual election in question.

17 Likes

The leaked data was given to Ron Watkins, who is allegedly one of the puppet masters behind QAnon.

On, or shortly before May 25, Peters or someone in her office switched off security cameras that monitored the county’s voting machines, Colorado Secretary of State Jena Griswold alleges. On the 25th, Peters is accused of allowing an unauthorized person, who used the name “Gerald Wood,” to access the machines and make copies of data, which were soon leaked to Ron Watkins, a conspiracy theorist who previously acted as an administrator for the fringe forum 8kun. Watkins and fellow travelers like Lindell attempted, unsuccessfully, to argue that the leaked data suggests malfeasance by voting machine company Dominion. (Dominion is suing Lindell and other election conspiracy theorists for defamation.)

8 Likes

Well, they are right about something,
the law IS there to protect THEM.

1 Like

The safe house is to protect her from arrest. Pillow Guy better get advice on aiding and abetting.

8 Likes

But the potential damage one person can do is simply so much higher with these black box machines.

People have demonstrated numerous times that the machines can be hacked. You can’t even be certain exactly what software is running on them at the time of voting. You can’t be certain what software is on the computer that reads the sd card and transmits the votes to the central computer. You can’t be certain what’s on the central computer.

With paperless voting, everybody is entirely in the dark until the machines spits out a number, and then you are required to trust it.

With paper voting, the ballots are counted in a room with many people in it. One bad actor could potentially misread some ballots, though that’s usually hard as both campaigns have people looking at every ballot, but the totals from each table are called with multiple witnesses, the totals from each district have witnesses, everything happens in the open and if the numbers don’t add up people notice. And the paper is still there and can be counted again. The damage a single person can do is so much more limited.

9 Likes

It’s OK folks…settle down. She got caught doing heinous acts that undermine the foundations of society itself. If prosecuted, she will at least see a 6 month suspended sentence and 120 hours of community service. She may also lose her position of authority, eventually. Or not. Move on citizen. Move on.

9 Likes

Many states use voting machines that tally electronically, but have paper backup in case there are questions about the voting count (called VVPAT). There are a few states that where electronic balloting is used (varies by county), with no paper tally: Texas, Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi, Kansas, Indiana, Kentucky and New Jersey. With the exception of NJ, notice anything about these states?

5 Likes

It’s okay, trump promised several times in rallies that he’d pay anyone’s legal bills for breaking the law on his behalf.

11 Likes

I am not an expert in AI. I am a Computer Person, and I hung out and got to know a group of security researchers who studied vehicle computer systems.

The newest car I own is from 2006. That is not a coincidence…

1 Like

Plowing into things that are not roads?

1 Like

Go back to paper ballots.
Convert all voting machines into vending machines that dispense art.

2 Likes

And when she writes a book about her exploits, she’ll make millions.

OK, wait, wait, hold on now. You’re saying that someone meddled with voting machines, potentially compromising the accuracy of the vote count, and it was a Republican? I don’t believe it. This has never happened before.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, if we do that someone will surely hack them so they only dispense Jon McNaughton paintings.

4 Likes