Columbus statue trips, falls into lake

That’s right, which is why I’ve never been able to understand why the US has celebrated Columbus Day!
He wasn’t even looking for the landmass that we now know as America in the first place, he was about 5-6000 miles off from where he thought he was, so a complete loser, and not someone who’s exploits should be celebrated even on a basic level.

4 Likes

Primarily because Italian American activists lobbied for a Columbus day holiday.

[ETA] It was first celebrated as a federal holiday after a mass lynching of Italian Americans in NOLA:

But it wasn’t made into a holiday until 1968.

[ETA 2] Here is an interesting overview:

17 Likes

People in Bristol have been trying to get rid of that statue for 40-odd years, nearly half a century! Every time it’s been tried the Merchant Venturers have got in the way, and when their background is looked into it’s obvious why…

9 Likes

While John Cabot goes largely unrecognized

6 Likes

just realized something

trumpkins and pals are very likely to install a statue of him somewhere, likely while he is still alive, probably on some private donated land in DC or maybe on one of his properties (maybe all) or maybe at his “presidential library” (which still makes me laugh, the 5th grade reader who clearly bought his college degree the same way he paid for someone else to go die for him in vietnam, is going to have a library)

good luck keeping that statue around, it will need 24/7 armed guards

6 Likes

I don’t think Amerigo Vespucci got any closer.

7 Likes

Any suggestions for what goes into the Trump Presidential Library.
My guess is a couple of well worn issues of Penthouse and “See Spot Run”

4 Likes

But Europeans discovered jack and shit, since much like I can’t “discover and colonize” my neighbors yard, you can’t discover something that people already live on…

16 Likes

10 Likes

If the butter is first super-heated into a butter plasma, and then ejected though a tiny aperture at many time the speed of sound… yeah, still didn’t melt the steel :frowning:

Maybe adding bits of popcorn for an extra abrasion effect will work, back to the lab!!

4 Likes

Here’s a hint, guys: Stop using unsalted butter. Salted butter makes all the difference. :wink:

3 Likes

It was a preexisting condition. “Weak neck syndrome.”

It gets lost in all the rape, slavery and mass murder he committed, but he was an absolute shit on every level, including in the most petty ways. On the trip over, he promised a big bonus to whatever crew spotted land first. So when crew spotted land one morning they came to tell him and his response was, and I paraphrase, “Oh yeah, I actually saw that land myself last night but didn’t tell anyone about it. Guess the bonus goes to me!”

13 Likes

You know, I saw the video of that event, and I’m telling you, this “Chris” guy fell, you know, he fell a lot harder than he was pushed, if you know what I’m saying. ANTIFA. (OK, technically just “FA”, in his case …).

Oh Noes!

But who is defending the interests of the white colonists and slavers?
/s

2 Likes

According to the statue, he meant to do that, and the lake is now India.

8 Likes
5 Likes

7 Likes

The damn’d history textbooks we had never mentioned that “John Cabot” was Italian!

3 Likes

It’s really going around today.

6 Likes

They were certainly trying to get rid of him back in the 90’s when I was there. I never realised quite how weird the whole Victorian Colston thing got, though.

7 Likes