Comcast: if you don't subscribe to cable TV, we won't sell you high-speed internet

8 Likes

I had awful internet only service from them. Weekly outages lasting for hours. Useless customer service. As an experiment I ordered cable to go with it and the interruptions stopped. But I didn’t like cable or watch it, so I cancelled it, and the interruptions began again.

I write to you from a wifi hotspot, with unlimited data. One of two that i have. Between the two they’re about the same cost as my high speed internet was from Comcast, except they always work -and they work anywhere there is 4G-.

I’m looking forward to paying out the nose for 5G, because the alternative is Comcast, and they can pound sand.

5 Likes

Why would I ever do this? as in…what exactly is the point of this?

2 Likes

Around here the only good plan is to ping pong back and forth between Comcast and FIOS as the new customer deals run out. Don’t get your VOIP phone through them, so you don’t have to deal with porting it, and obviously don’t use their email! I was shocked recently to learn a friend was actually PAYING for AOL just to keep her email!

2 Likes

I think it’s pretty fantastic that a rotary phone works on a fiber optic box. They didn’t have to design that functionality it. No real point being made for or against, though if you ever want a rotary phone, one will work on your home line.

3 Likes

gotcha! we actually do still have wired copper phone lines actually.

1 Like

Are you referring to what’s posted here on BBS, or on Ars Technica, or in The Houston Chronicle, or on Reddit?

https://www.chron.com/techburger/article/Comcast-increases-speeds-again-but-only-for-12861755.php

https://www.reddit.com/r/Portland/comments/8g21g7/comcast_wont_give_new_speed_boost_to_internet/

10 Likes

Is it now? Perhaps somebody should show us how to write carefully and accurately

Or maybe not.

10 Likes

I called to cancel TV and was told that my internet speed would be cut by 50% - not that I should buy a new or different package, but that if I bought internet only my max speed would be 60Mbps, compared to the 120 I get now.

So in my limited experience - no they won’t sell you standalone high speed internet. They will only sell the higher speed if you also subscribe to TV

My 802.11g wifi card will only download at 20 Mbps anyway.

Half the scam here is convincing people they need these ridiculous speeds in their homes.

6 Likes

The FCC needs to step in…

Point taken. I just want to recognize that Comcast is not a business, they (and the rest of their ilk) are a Monopoly.

1 Like

They helped build the room.

2 Likes

Hah! Thank you for that. I needed a good laugh.

1 Like

It may depend where you live. In my area (and according to the linked article, in both Houston and Oregon), they will absolutely sell you all the high speed internet you want, but at a higher cost than the TV customers who get it as an add-on bonus.

The people that write these articles have 0 experience in telecommunications. So when the initial statement came out in Houston saying that for people who have TV and Internet will be getting the free upgrade and people without TV will not these writers are taking it as everyone is getting slower internet. The articles are misleading, Fact. Most people will jump on bored with hatred and blame the company instead of being thankful for free speed upgrades.

1 Like

LOL, AT&T, huh?

So my “ancient” building (built in 1988) only has copper wiring…and so I only get 3 or 4 mps (at best) download speeds from CenturyLink. You read that right…4 at best. 10 would be a wild dream for me. And switching to Comcast (Xfinity) is a non-starter. I’ve happily avoided that company for the Bubonic Plague that it is.

So, I’m stuck between CenturyLink’s refusal to upgrade residential properties into the 21st century, or checking into the Comcast Gulag. Goddamnit. No, I don’t want cable TV. Netflix and HBO Now are more than enough for me.

What to do? How much would it cost to rewire a 40-unit building? Any ballpark estimates? I know, this question is likely not possible to answer…but there’s GOTTA be a way to beat this duopoly. It’s not impossible…we’re a condo building, so the association could conceivably get the work done, and we could switch to the 2 other ISPs in Seattle. I don’t know. Pipe dream? Thoughts?