Come for the opportunity, leave because of the poor healthcare, education and culture wars: Texas and Florida slump in livability rankings

I’m rather confused about that video.

The link he has for the methodology takes you here:

Which then has a link at the bottom for the full rankings of all the states:

Based on this snip it seems like Texas is 6th? Or maybe he is referencing some other CNBC rankings that he isn’t directly referencing.

1 Like

It’s so hot in Texas, I had a great idea for a mobile business selling cool bottled water to construction workers.

What does the panel think?

5 Likes

i mentioned this in another thread too, so sorry for the repeat

texas is a geographically large, high population state. even a small percentage of solar generation ( or any statistic ) will look like a large total

per capita, it’s maybe middle of the pack. most of the northeastern states win over texas. not places generally known for their sun.

( eta: and this is especially relevant for texas since they refuse to modernize their grid, and therefore can’t link up to buy and sell electricity to other states )

20 Likes

“Flatter than a tabletop
Makes you wonder why they stopped here
Wagon must have lost a wheel or they lacked ambition one
On the great migration west
Separated from the rest
Though they might have tried their best
They never caught the sun
So they sunk some roots down in the dirt
To keep from blowin’ off the earth”
James McMurtry, Levelland

9 Likes

I like that song. James McMurtry is Larry McMurtry’s son.

3 Likes

The life, health, inclusion metric there has Texas dead last.

10 Likes

The overall business rankings are for how favorable the state is for the businesses, not the workers. The rankings Beau gave are about quality of life for workers (given in the “Life, Health & Inclusion” column of the screenshot you posted).

11 Likes

Yep, the One Star State.

5 Likes

I don’t think Americans need a passport to fly to American Samoa or the Northern Mariana Islands, right? Or Hawaii is a good option too, if you can stand being that close.

4 Likes

How do natives of other states respond to Texas?

My California-born cousin (San Bernardino) and sis-in-law (San Jose) were both assigned to executive-level positions in Texas, around Dallas – and both escaped ASAP, the cousin to Montana, the sis-in-law to New England.

I have traveled across that wide state and found little reason to return. Didn’t like the beer, either, but that’s another story.

3 Likes

Here’s the thing - people like what they like. There are some people here on this BBS who live in texas, not because they are right wingers, but because for whatever reason they like living there… We all have different ideas about what constitutes a great place to live and want different things out of life. And we all probably have differences of opinions on what kind of beer is good. :woman_shrugging: Like Texas, dislike Texas as a place to live - that’s all personal preference…

The PROBLEM right now, is how the Texas GOP has accrued power to itself, gerrymandered an increasingly diverse state to maintain that power. But as the example of my own state (GA) shows, the problem isn’t hopeless. I was constantly being told that there was no way we could get democrats elected to state level offices, and now we have 2 Democratic senators. It’s not like southern states don’t have our own progressive and even radical traditions/histories - we do.

Rather than just dismissing entire states wholesale, we should be looking what why the far right is getting entrenched in some places and seeing what we can do to undo that damage. This is a national problem, because the goal is a national take over. Hell, there is an article up now on the BBS about how they have plans to take the whole country…

So maybe it’s more productive to focus on the political problems of these states than to just write them off?

13 Likes

The big cities are like any other big cities

Biden won Houston by 200,000 votes

Austin has nice parks :deciduous_tree:

11 Likes

I think that it’s a good idea to take a look at maps like this one every once in a while to remind ourselves that States are not monoliths, and the vote distribution in a state like Texas isn’t orders of magnitude in difference from a place like California. (And also that Texas has more Democrats than NY, etc)

12 Likes

The blue dots usually also represent high concentrations of population. In “red states” like Texas they’re islands in a sea of sparsely populated and gerrymandered districts.

And, unfortunately, California had more voters for Biff than several other “red states” combined.

6 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean…I’m from the northeast, but have spent time in TX. I found it beautiful and varied, and the people, like all people everywhere, mostly kind and decent, or at a minimum, willing to just leave me TF alone.
I think it would be a harrowing place to raise children right now, especially non-white or non-cis, het children. It would be a scary place to think of becoming pregnant. It would be a scary place to be poor.
But, unfortunately, that describes most of the US right now.

11 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

5 Likes

Yes, California has the highest number of tomato red cap numbnuts.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.