Trevor Noah shows us how the GOP's hatred of AOC offers a new energy source for Texas

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/02/18/trevor-noah-shows-us-how-the-gops-hatred-of-aoc-offers-a-new-energy-source-for-texas.html

10 Likes

Beau calls BS on blaming windmills for what’s happened:

With the fossil fuel industry funding a political death cult, it’s only a matter of time before Immortan Joe steps onto the stage.

27 Likes

Maybe Texas needs to talk to the Dakotas where wind energy produces more than 20% of all electricity and somehow doesn’t crap out when it gets cold?

It’s not like the Republican run state wasn’t warned ten years ago to improve its grid is it? Oh right - yeah, they were:

26 Likes

34 Likes

Also, let’s be clear that we’re now in the dress rehearsal for the climate emergency. If the elected officials in thrall to fossil fuel companies and addicted to “free”-market ideology are jetting off to Cancun or telling constituents “survival of the strongest, you’re own your own” or spreading denialist lies now, what will happen when (largely thanks to them) things go really pear-shaped in a 1.5-degree-plus world in less than a decade?

Even if fascists weren’t taking over the GOP, the U.S. (and the world) can no longer afford having them in power.

25 Likes
12 Likes

Pish-posh! If renewable energy was feasible in cold places then they’d have it in Antarctica!

Antarctica

39 Likes

Republican Environmental Policy, “Only the strong* will survive and the weak** will perish!”

*Wealthy
**Not Wealthy

20 Likes

I’d argue we are seeing the opening act of an actual climate emergency. These record breaking, one in a lifetime events (2021 cold, Hurricane Harvey, TS Imelda) are now all happening inside of a decade.

11 Likes

No power; and in Austin, at least, no water.

10 Likes

right? this is so willfully idiotic. i have personally seen with my own eyes wind turbines functioning in winter weather in alaska, maine, and the gaspe peninsula, and a quick google search confirms that they are also up and running in siberia, greenland, and antarctica.

12 Likes

Those Republicans, really Making America Great Again. Or maybe the “G” stood for something else all along.

14 Likes

The most important takeaway from that image is:

OMG, OMG, OMG those penguins are soooo adorable!!!

25 Likes

One of the better breakdowns of the Texas situation that I have read:

7 Likes

Hell, they even function in freezing temperatures in London, where every time we get snow, the public transport system grinds to a halt (to be honest, I think the entire capital really just uses snow as an excuse to bunk off work).

We’re shit at snow (we get far less of it than places wot get proper snow, and nobody seems to know what to do with it when it comes), yet our wind turbines don’t freeze up.

I can look out of my window and see a honking great one towering over Thamesmead in south-east London, and that’s been working fine this past snowy week.

8 Likes

The thing is, even if the grid there was 100% wind and the failure was 100% due to turbines seizing, the powers that be would still be to blame for failing to plan for disasters. Leave the spinning to the windmills, assholes.

11 Likes

I think a closer comparison would be wind turbines in Aberdeen, but the biggest problem there is Trump moaning about how they spoil his view (and how working farms spoil his view, and how SSSI’s spoil his view).

8 Likes

Remember when people kept warning that trump’s actions could trigger a constitutional crisis… over and over as if it wasn’t already a constitutional crisis?

This isn’t a dress rehearsal, this is the show.

8 Likes

Turns out they were once exploited as an energy source too.

8 Likes

“Penguin digesters”
“3 million+ penguins killed”

9 Likes