Come out, it's time. For the lottery.

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/20/come-out-its-time-for-the.html

Tom the Dancing Bug, IN WHICH we all come out, it’s time for the lottery

11 Likes

It’s so cool that Ruben Bolling affectionately uses Wattersonian parody sometimes, because every time a new TTDB lands I feel like Calvin racing back from the mailbox with his new beanie hat!

Side note, for boingers who don’t remember the seminal SF story referenced here, it’s this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lottery

18 Likes

The Lottery; it’s not to be sniffed at.

8 Likes

Freeeee reeefills!!!

15 Likes

Armageddon anyone? How about just a taste?

1 Like

Even if you could somehow force people to go out and just buy things it probably isn’t going to improve the economy much when people are still getting sick and dying at record levels.

And I fully expect that the next step is for the “freedom-loving” Trumpers to start demanding everyone go out and spend money, whether they want to or not.

8 Likes

Trumpists forget that the virus was tanking the economy well BEFORE any states issued stay-at-home orders. Restaurant business was down something like 70% because most people had no desire to get sick even when the gummint was still allowing them to do so.

The people who expect the economy to resume as usual the instant the lockdown orders lift are in for a big disappointment.

19 Likes

I vaguely remember a public service TV ad from Bush I’s era that proposed “if everyone just acted like the recession was over, it would be over.” I’m not sure how to google something like that, a quick youtube search brought up too much other crap.

3 Likes

Pretty much this.

18 Likes

So weird that our entire economic system is based on the same principle as “CLAP YOUR HANDS FOR TINKERBELL!!”

21 Likes

Ahhh…in my mind, I was thinking about Dragonslayer.

2 Likes

Man, I love Shirley Jackson. Read several of her short stories in HS.

4 Likes

This one is perfect.

1 Like

Except that, in Jackson’s story, anyone who was injured or sick could not participate in The Lottery. Those with comorbidities have to draw their card along with everyone else in the “restart” of the economy. :frowning:

1 Like

“I DO believe in [tax breaks for corporations] I do, I do!”

3 Likes

Well, sorta, but someone else would draw for them.

Mr. Summers consulted his list. “Clyde Dunbar.” he said. “That’s right. He’s broke his leg, hasn’t he? Who’s drawing for him?”

“Me. I guess,” a woman said. and Mr. Summers turned to look at her. “Wife draws for her husband.”

2 Likes

Wow! I haven’t read the story since High School. I forgot about this though I distinctly remember my teacher saying those who participated had to be without flaws - like a “perfect sacrifice” for the common good.

Edited for clarity.

3 Likes

That sounds a lot like the teacher imposing their own ideas on the story.

4 Likes

Except in the expanded Fairy universe, they have a Fairy Hospital with nurses…no need for clapping.

/looked for the name of the Doctor, she’s seen in Tinkerbell: Secret of the Wings, which is probably the second best of the 6 movies…after Neverbeast (which doesn’t star Tink)

/omg, I know entirely too much about Disney Fairies…

1 Like

What is this comic referencing? It’s lost on me…