Commemorative 2020 election chess set lacks two important pieces

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/09/commemorative-2020-election-ch.html

3 Likes

They’re making this, and still, no Trump ass-pennies?

6 Likes

“Queen Mike Pence” is hard to pass up

I hope that is how that homophobic moron will go down in history

12 Likes

Who are the pawns - the voters?

15 Likes

I like how the family scene at 0:48 is saying “You may have lost your son to the Democrats, but with this chess set, your grandson will be drawn back to the Correct Party and all it stands for”.

1 Like

So if Warren’s the nominee, it’ll be Warren as the King and probably a male candidate for the Queen.

6 Likes

“Who will win the battle in your home? The fun will never end!”

no thank you.

5 Likes

They’re assuming Trump won’t be in prison.

4 Likes

Checkmate.

5 Likes

Just a reminder for those at home: our democracy is actually not a game.

18 Likes

Embedded above is the television ad for the set, described by Jimmy Traina as the “most batshit crazy commercial I’ve ever seen.”

Hold my Trumpy Bear

3 Likes

I remember that ad! At $17.50 a month, that’s $560 total when you get the whole set - 3 years later. I wonder if you have to wait another 2 months for the board, or if it would come with the (purely hypothetical, I’m sure) final shipment of two pieces.

3 Likes

They aren’t targeting this at people who are good at math.

3 Likes

I wonder how many people in the target audience for that ad even had 3 years left to live.

4 Likes

If this were 2020 election voodoo material, I’d choose Carlesen Magnus as the player with the blue pieces.

1 Like

My guess: In the third month, they send you a “one time” offer to buy out the entire remainder of the set at half price + shipping and handling.

1 Like

I was going to say that maybe they should call Pence the Vice King, but surely that title belongs to Trump…

2 Likes

I’m voting for Ficus.

1 Like

The pawns are the voters - they’re used to shim the shorter legs of the table

1 Like