Company claims flashlight earbuds boost mental alertness by illuminating your brain

This means almost nothing. Given the right connections, you can get just about anything published, no matter the journal. This is nonsense, pure and simple. Our brains do not require illumination, or we’d have skylights in our skulls. Eyes being the windows to the soul notwithstanding.

2 Likes

I expect we’ll see these in the boingboing store for 75% off in three months.

38 Likes

While many of the thousands of peer-reviewed journals publish BS, on the whole:

3 Likes

Where’s the BoingBoing Store link?

10 Likes

This site is pretty interesting. Evidently this is not the first time Valkee has tried to market this quackery:

The swindle was busted in 2012 in Finland, and Valkee was awarded the HuuHaa (flim-flam) prize for the earlight device. Having lost their home market, Valkee is trying elsewhere to trick people into buying this expensive toy, which has been renamed to HumanCharger for jet lag and SummerLight for SAD, to make the earlier fail harder to find online. Their scheme is still protected by the language barrier. This website documents the swindle.

“HuuHaa” doesn’t really need translation, IMO.

8 Likes

There are hundreds of labs that stimulate neurons with optogenetics every day, which would be impossible if light couldn’t pass through brain tissue.
Even if the earbuds are bullshit, this is an awful lot of blind certainty.

7 Likes

Mom says you’re gonna go blind.

7 Likes

Right next to Juicero kits and about 75% of the featured BB tchachkes on sale.

5 Likes

Wow, someone commercialized a very old blonde joke.

2 Likes

Next up, EyeBuds, healing headphones for your eyeballs… :thinking:

6 Likes

Seems legit.

1 Like

Stimulating the pineal gland, you say? What could possibly go wrong.

18 Likes

13 Likes

Your braines do too need light!!!11 THEY knew it and now YOU know it.

13 Likes

Hey, can you prove it doesn’t work? No, you can’t.

Whereas this lucky anvil I carry around with me protects me from tigers-- and it has worked perfectly for the entire 17 years I have carried it.

Well duh, that’s what trepanation is for!

Let the light shine in!

14 Likes

Bullshit. Everyone knows you need different colors for different moods. Those blue LED’s will just depress you.

But Friday night - maybe hook up those hot red ones.

12 Likes

The limited resolution on the thumbnail for the post on the main page had me reading ‘Fool charged all day.’ Teehee.

3 Likes

I think they are shining the light into the wrong orifices.

8 Likes

You beat me to the Star Trek reference, but here’s another one anyway:

6 Likes

In the end, in the crowded earbud market, the sheer audacity of their claims probably led them to sell more earbuds than they would otherwise – “I’m going to buy this product because of how completely ridiculous it is!” and so on.

Heck, if someone didn’t sue them, I reckon they’d set up one of their employees to sue them for the requisite publicity.

And linking to them, of course, plays right into their hands.

1 Like