Company claims flashlight earbuds boost mental alertness by illuminating your brain

Off to start a Third Eye Sunglasses company…

7 Likes

Anvils are not inherently lucky. A man makes his own luck. Which is why I always carry two sacks of something, like Jack Handey advises:

Always carry two sacks of something. That way, if anybody says, “Hey, can you give me a hand?,” you can say, “Sorry, got these sacks.”

8 Likes

The current price is too high. They will show up here when they can say $150 now $49.95.

I feel a sinus infection coming on today. I’m going to go home and shove pen lights in my ears and nose. /s

Everyday I call my mom and tell her, I’m still not blind.
She says, what are you doing?
I say, nothing! MOM!
She tries to switch to video call, so I hang up.
But from now on I will say, not sticking LEDs in my ears before I hang up.

• No actual moms were harmed in this scenario. My mom mom’s flip phone doesn’t do video calls.
5 Likes
13 Likes

From the research I’ve read, white light would do almost nothing. Most research isolates specific wavelengths at fairly high intensity to get enough of an effect in clusters of neurons. White light LEDs are a broad hodgepodge of wavelengths with relatively low intensity at any given wavelength.

6 Likes

Valkee have been around for a while and BB is late to the party!

Combine Valkee flashlight earbuds with a ‘Vielight’ forebrain-illuminating nostril torch, shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

9 Likes

OFFS. “World Journal of Neuroscience” is a jizzmop of a journal from the unabashed predators at SCIRP where ‘peer review’ consists of waiting for the cheque to clear. “Medical Hypotheses” primarily exists as a gift to lazy bloggers to ridicule. When Valkee commissioned a study for ‎€10,000 and published the result in “Frontiers of Physiology”, the peer reviewer was a Korean dance instructor in the editor’s employ.

These are “solid, peer-reviewed journals”?

10 Likes

They also lose points from me for referring to “lumens” as a unit of “dose” rather than flux.

4 Likes

They missed the cosmetic angle. Sure, their product makes you smarter… but does it give you luminous, sparkling eyes?

4 Likes

They are truly earlightened.

4 Likes

The only wavelengths of light that passes through that much bone and tissue…

6 Likes

That’s the transillumination test for hydranencephaly. Basically if you can shine a light in someone’s ears or on the back of the head, and it comes out the eyes, the prognosis is not good.

Magazine felt differently, of course.

7 Likes

“Mullet with headlights… Oversurprised guy!”

There are so many song references with the word light, I whish I could just stay up all night long to edit a supercut…

4 Likes

If you are dumb enough to buy these headphones, you only need one. The light from it should come directly out the opposite ear.

That said, it’s probably available at the boingboing store.

6 Likes

Because lumen is the plural of lux. Also units are not necessarily pluralized.

3 Likes

Hey, a little tinkering and they will improve digestion. OTOH that’s probably how they came up with the idea, When pulling them out of there, that is…

1 Like

The 2 opsins in deep brain tissue are sensistive to ultraviolet (OPN5) and blue-green (OPN3), so if its not complete bullshit the light would need to have concentration in one or both of those ranges.
I just checked one of their papers and their light is very blue dominated about 450 nm. So still very probably BS, but the light could stimulate the main deep brain opsin

5 Likes

Optogenetics uses very specific wavelengths, in very specific places, usually administered with a brain implant.

There’s no research of any reliability anywhere saying shining white light into your ears has an optogenetic effect. Or that shining white light onto the surface of your brain is good for you.

4 Likes

Journal of experimental biology and Biomed central were what I meant by solid.

Yes the ones you listed are shiite

6 Likes

450 is splitting the difference between UV and blue-green (495 nm, +/-). It would be interesting to see the activity spectra. 395 nm LEDs are cheap and strong, likewise 495 nm. I can’t see why splitting the difference would be desirable.

Edit: looks like the OPN5 is has peak absorbance at 380 nm. Still a strong and relatively cheap LED.

1 Like