Staring at a $16 red flashlight improved eyesight in people over 40

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/21/staring-at-a-16-red-flashlight-improved-eyesight-in-people-over-40.html

12 Likes

Sounds promising, but then, if I wear glasses and my vision changes, wouldn’t I need a new prescription? (Assuming one’s improved vision doesn’t return all the way back to 20/20 or so.)

Did Big Eyeglasses fund this study? /jk

15 Likes

Your vision can - and does - degrade in many ways totally unrelated to the focus of your eyes, though. Sounds like this is a separate issue, given that it’s impacting the retina itself.

19 Likes

Power Flashing GIF by JOSH HILL

22 Likes

This procedure claims to improve sensitivity (how well you can see in low light), which is not something that glasses can help.

16 Likes

tumblr_n5tqwooVgU1qmiq9no3_500

16 Likes

Cheers, dude. Saved me $16.

17 Likes

“I don’t do that, Dave. I’ve got my life back together.”

11 Likes

oo ooo… i’m ancient enough to recognize that …meme! “Andromeda Strain” and the researcher depicted misses the computer read-out (reflected in her glasses) “No Growth” in one of the sequential automated cell cultures due to her epilepsy. (“very good. but still no cookie for you”)

12 Likes

I was just thinking about that film the other day…

7 Likes

“Hey, doc. The Internet says I should shine a 670nm flashlight into my eyes for 3 minutes a day to help my eyesight, what do you think about that?”

I’m not sure how well this would go over… unless my doctor is Ronny Johnson maybe.

13 Likes

What could go wrong?

5 Likes

It’s always some secondary character, who has Chekhov’s disability, that becomes an important plot point, but how come it’s never white male privilege? :thinking:

6 Likes

Doesn’t sunlight already contain plenty of this frequency of light? Why would 3 minutes worth in isolation make any difference over all the exposure I get from full spectrum light all day?

5 Likes

happy will and grace GIF by HULU

5 Likes

And I’d say it’s probably more appropriate to ask your ophthalmologist, since that specialty would matter.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t think that would naturally follow. There’s some research that music might help concentration and memory. It wouldn’t follow that white noise is equivalent/ potentially superior, even though the frequencies found in music could also be found in white noise.

1 Like

Heat Wave Weather GIF by HULU

4 Likes

giphy

3 Likes

I don’t know if it was based on any study, but ever since the 1980s a visit to the opthalmologist for anything almost always meant I would be told to sit in front of one of these, let it shine into your (closed) eyes for 5 minutes before going home.

They never explained why, but it would always feel nice on the eyes. I’m not sure how much insurance was charged for the privilege.

9 Likes