Company claims flashlight earbuds boost mental alertness by illuminating your brain

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/07/company-claims-flashlight-earb.html

5 Likes

second-doc-my-giddy-aunt

28 Likes

:star::o::o::o::o:

5 Likes

Every sucker needs to be separated from their money

11 Likes

[Citation Needed]

Also, $150 is a lot for a couple of $0.25 LEDs attached to $1 headphones.

20 Likes

Buddha said the mind is luminous. But these days, modern stresses reduce the luminosity of the average mind by up to 67%. This is the real cause of the obesity epidemic, diabetes and cancer. Get those lumens up!

(Why is “lumens” being identified as a typo by the spell checker?)

23 Likes

Can it destroy mind-controlling parasites? If not, forget it!

24 Likes

Wait…why would your body have the parts that need light the most tucked away in an ear canal? I’m pretty sure the parts of your body that are designed to convey light to the brain and let our brains know it’s time to be awake are 'round front…

17 Likes

Oh, the old “hearing” canals? Those are just for reception to the waves of the world. You thought they were just for silly little pressure waves in so-called “air”? No, no, no friend. Those hearing tubes are tuned in to the Electromagnetic Spectrum! Why, those light waves are nothing but sound at a higher frequency. Gotta get your vibrations into the visible range!

/sarcasm

16 Likes
15 Likes

It’s like somebody saw the word enlightenment and took it literally.

13 Likes

25 Likes

So, its not as pure BS as it might sound.
The brain does have a lot of light sensitive cells, including in the middle of the brain where you’d expect no light to enter. The activity of these cells do influence our diurnal rhythm. That a light shining into your ear would do anything seems really dubious, but not completely impossible.

Their research is published in solid, peer-reviewed journals. The only claims of light into the ear canals having effect on deep brain regions comes from authors who are funded by the company selling the earbuds. So skepticism is warranted, but after looking at the research their claims seem less complete bullshit than I was expecting

12 Likes

Well, René Descartes believed the human pineal gland to be the “principal seat of the soul”…

If what I seem to remember about the workings of the pineal gland is accurate, flashlight earbuds might actually work. On reptiles. So this might be a secret plot to identify the lizard people.

10 Likes

Unless someone would be perfectly healthy with half of their brain out of their skull, which i doubt. Either way i certainly dont trust some random company with no medical certification

2 Likes

wait… they don’t?

3 Likes

But…

I think I see the problem here…

6 Likes

You think that works good? Check this out!

3 Likes

I’m boosting my mental alertness right now.

19 Likes

Shhhh… don’t confuse us with your logic.

There are internal parts of your body that can sense light, but you don’t need them to. Your pineal gland deep in your brain has photo receptor cells. Your ancient vertebrate ancestors probably needed them before your slightly less ancient ancestors evolved a visual cortex.

9 Likes