Comparing a high-quality Rolex knockoff with a real one

Watches definitely say something about their owners. I’m not sure what the Rolex is trying to convey, other than “I spent way too much money on this timepiece”. It’s not more accurate than a $50 Casio. The person wearing it has absolutely no use for the 300m depth seal. And so on. Well-made bling, but just bling.

I wear a Nixie tube watch because it’s rather interesting yet practical, and I have the extra treat of getting to tell the store check-out clerk that I designed and built the timepiece on my wrist.

3 Likes

Aw, crap!

(Whistles, nonchalantly. :wink: )

3 Likes

Before everyone converts to quartz watches, under extreme conditions they’re unreliable, unlike a very good (Rolex, Breitling, etc.) mechanical watch.

You can get them so cold the battery stops, just for starters.

2 Likes

Casio G-Shock.Perfect.

3 Likes

Yea, I have a friend that dropped his in the john in a public restroom. Ew.
I walked into a restroom one time and there was a guy at the goat feeder watching a youtube video. I’m like, dude. You can’t wait?

2 Likes

I can’t bear to watch the video, but just based on the summary I’m shaking my head. I can’t see paying £10,000 for a watch, but I really can’t see paying £1,000 for a fake watch, considering that a £10 Casio will tell time just as well.

2 Likes

explain pls?

1 Like

Fugazi: criminally, intentionally fake

3 Likes

FWIW, the market price for a modern steel Daytona is more like 16K quid…

4 Likes

was disappointed this was not addressed.
Rolex is known for being very proactive in capitalizing on any advancements in build or construction, I would bet that the real version was more accurate. But given the level of fakery, it may not be by enough to matter in any reasonable amount of time. Or, who knows, I might lose the bet.

2 Likes

Its Italian (or Italian Americans at least) for fake. Foo-gay-zee.

3 Likes

Hilariously, it’s also a surname!

1 Like

I’m flossing a Timex Weekender, personally.
quartz movement, actually waterproof (the ratings on a lot of watches, even expensive ones, are notoriously wrong,) indiglo (nice to have,) and just overall durable.
I work in a kitchen. I go from decent lengths of time in a walk-in freezer to washing my hands in scalding hot water. I need to keep track of time to pace my output, but pulling a smartphone out of my pocket and activating it with raw meat or sauces etc all over my hand is not happening. The types of non-quartz watches that can withstand my job’s kind of punishment are way, way beyond my means. I tried a $100 Chinese automatic movement but it couldn’t withstand my job.
but I’m into jewelery and mechanical-rather-than-digital devices. I’d like to get something cool for my off-hours. My personal style seems to be at odds with the type of guy that is into the “hobby,” unfortunately; not to mention my buying power.

2 Likes

Maybe a fancy, artisanal watchband on a low-key watch?

1 Like

I only wear watches (almost always a robust ‘bullet-proof’ diving watch) when I’m visiting family back east (and want no contact [cell-wise] with anyone else during such times) and really don’t need my pocket-bulging cell then. I absolutely despise metal bands; they snag my wrist hairs, driving me crazy. My watches have either leather, or nylon NATO straps. Super comfy.

2 Likes

This guy should do all the narration for the impending robot apocalypse. Such a soothing march to our doom. :smiley:

2 Likes

this is the first time I’ve seen that word outside of video related, but I’m certain they mean it the same way, in a post- modern sense; the guitar/vocalist is Italian-American. for them, I’ve always heard it as “foo-GAH-zi” but maybe that’s regionalism from his family?

2 Likes

Art has been there for a while. Maybe Rolex can contract with Banksy’s company Pest Control.

2 Likes

Yet another watch sub-culture involves people who bash different watch parts together to end up with a one-of-a-kind look. They invest in the special tools needed to remove/install hands, gears, etc.

2 Likes