Comparing the size of known asteroids to New York City

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/25/comparing-the-size-of-known-as.html

7 Likes

CrispWelllitBrocketdeer-small

29 Likes

Those are some mighty big bullets.

1 Like

Not to worry, tRump can stop them with his mind. He told me so.

4 Likes

Fake - everyone knows asteroids are flat like in the video game.

6 Likes

When I was in first or second grade I got a book from the library that had pictures and diagrams of what would happen if a H-bomb blew up over the Empire State building, how far the destruction would reach. I dislike diagrams like this :frowning: I could see the Empire State building and the Manhattan skyline in the distance from the street corner near my house. I had trouble falling asleep at night for years. I lived on the approaches to both Kennedy Airport and LaGuardia in Queens. I used to think the rumble of the jets were either bombers or ICBMs approaching.

6 Likes

I would like to see the sizes of craters they would make (although the effects would be widespread).

Relative velocity is needed to predict the energy of the impact, not just the mass.

That said, it’s going to be a very bad day on planet Earth if Ceres came for a visit.

3 Likes
  1. It’s stupid cool that we can even find and track space potatoes as small as 3-4 meters.

2. I appreciate the aesthetic of space potatoes getting more and more lumpless and smooth as they grow.

5 Likes

If Chicxulub was 11-81 km, or so the internet tells me, then yeah, I suspect Ceres would knock Earth out of orbit—not that it would matter for us.

1 Like

Hey, we might get another moon out of the deal. That is probably how we got the current one – large asteroid hit early in the formation of the solar system.

Of course, we’d all be dead with the Earth’s surface covered in boiling lava. But two moons! Eat that Mars!

5 Likes

The name of the video maker is incorrect.
It is “MetaBallStudios”, not “MetalBallStudios”

Please correct.

3 Likes

These videos always make me want to play some Katamari Damaci

3 Likes

And those are just the ones that we know about? Sleep tight, Boingers.

2 Likes

Those boffins at Imperial College London wrote a little web app for that.

4 Likes

Ceres? Might as well include Luna for completeness’ sake, that thing could drop any minute.

1 Like

Not as big as Mother Russia!

2 Likes

Trump would brag that no building in New York is taller than his.

2 Likes

Even something the size of Eros would be a continent-destroying type of event. The impact would produce a 160+km diameter crater, and that would be the least of your problems. If you were half a continent away, your surroundings would be safe for almost an hour. And then the shockwave would arrive. Wind gusts over 300 m/sec and peak pressure of 245kPa mean very few structures would remain standing. Forests would be almost entirely flattened. What few trees remain upright would be stripped bare.

Oh, and you’d likely be on fire.

2 Likes

He will, of course, build the best wall, and have Mercury pay for it

2 Likes