This website lets you simulate the effects of crater impacts anywhere on Earth

Originally published at: This website lets you simulate the effects of crater impacts anywhere on Earth | Boing Boing

4 Likes

No, dude, Mar-a-Lago.

10 Likes

Too much collateral damage but it was fun.

7 Likes

Was this fun? I’m not sure this was fun…

7 Likes

For a certain definition of fun? Is horrifying fun? Yeah, I’m missing the fun part, but thete is a morbid fascination.

4 Likes

It feels like the Old Testament version of that Jesus FPS game posted a week or so back.

5 Likes

Now we know exactly how much it would suck.

Learning is fun.

4 Likes

I am reminded of this very similar tool that simulates the effects of nuclear explosives:

7 Likes

Aww you beat me to it…

Yeah but now I’m going to get a knock on the door by people in black suits with earpieces because I also just played with nukemap.

1 Like

I am irrationally annoyed by the headline. Craters don’t impact, they are the results of impacts.

7 Likes

Craters hurling thru space changes everything.

3 Likes

For those without a computer…

5 Likes

clothes are generally a lot thinner than trees and dont contain (well, some, I guess) any water unlike trees.

edit/

seriously?

oh, thats too bad; cant even launch a chicxulub-sized-asteroid (6-8-miles, carbon-based) on my homecity, max-size is “just” a mile.

3 Likes

Kind of like laying Black & White, but without the animal I’ve raised.

2 Likes

A steeply-inclined trajectory for the Chicxulub impact

The environmental severity of large impacts on Earth is influenced by their impact trajectory. Impact direction and angle to the target plane affect the volume and depth of origin of vaporized target, as well as the trajectories of ejected material. The asteroid impact that formed the 66 Ma Chicxulub crater had a profound and catastrophic effect on Earth’s environment, but the impact trajectory is debated. Here we show that impact angle and direction can be diagnosed by asymmetries in the subsurface structure of the Chicxulub crater. Comparison of 3D numerical simulations of Chicxulub-scale impacts with geophysical observations suggests that the Chicxulub crater was formed by a steeply-inclined (45–60° to horizontal) impact from the northeast; several lines of evidence rule out a low angle (<30°) impact. A steeply-inclined impact produces a nearly symmetric distribution of ejected rock and releases more climate-changing gases per impactor mass than either a very shallow or near-vertical impact.

Collins, G.S., Patel, N., Davison, T.M. et al. A steeply-inclined trajectory for the Chicxulub impact. Nat Commun 11 , 1480 (2020). A steeply-inclined trajectory for the Chicxulub impact | Nature Communications

(open access)

Akk. My brother lives in the pictured crater. Run bro!

… hurling while they hurtle, even

1 Like

Vomit Comet