Complete genome of SARS-CoV-2

I mean, it’s true, but we use BBEdit also. Sort of an intermediate between the two. (Although frankly if anyone IS using Word for this they need to take a good, hard look at themselves. Kinda like those people who use Excel to analyse data).

edit: incidentally I’ll add that I mostly work on big, squashy, friendly things like mitochondria, not nasty little viruses. I vaguely remember that some RNA viruses use overlapping genes (data compression, if you like) to pack more information in. Is that the case for CV?

3 Likes

3 Likes

I have a text to speech plug-in on Firefox, so I had 10 sec of fun.

3 Likes

No need for to much time, alignment software usually has this build in.

This is the weekend, I’m not going to put this into an alignment right now. You do you.

BTW, Randall, if you are reading this: I’m still waiting for upgoer-five style explanation for the pandemic, targeted at decision makers. I’m willing to proofread. Strike that, I’m willing to work out the text (and I think I know how hard this is) if you do the rest of the creative work, and I also don’t give a shit for being credited. Some parts of the world seem to need a special “executive summary”.

2 Likes

I think this is highly dangerous. What if some hacker ran it through an AI chatbot? We’d have a completely new virus.

2 Likes

Where’s the tl,dr?!

2 Likes

Covid is an RNA virus so all the T’s should be U’s

2 Likes

Those are amino acids in the protein sequence: tyrosine-lysine; d-tryptophan-arginine

3 Likes

Ah of course. Thanks for sharing, was having trouble with the first paragraph.

1 Like

Should have known that ATT was somehow involved in this. F-n telecom snoops. Their name is all over it.

Hey you there!

johnny-cash-finger-2

2 Likes

6 Likes

What’s wrong with using Excel to analyse data? When I worked as scientist (in the field of experimental mechanics) I for small datasets I used Libreoffice Calc, and Excel was quite commonly used too.

1 Like
2 Likes

These are valid points - it’s easy to make a mistake and spreadsheet indeed are difficult to debug. While I didn’t use R, for large datasets I used C++, with gnuplot for plotting. Spreadsheets were nice for quick and dirty stuff. The only problem was that nearly nobody at my former team knew how to program, so I had to export everything to CSV and rest of the team continued work in Excel :slight_smile:

1 Like

R and Excel (or your favourite spreadsheet program) are two different tools that are suited for different jobs. You shouldn’t be using spreadsheets for jobs that require heavy statistical lifting, and likewise you shouldn’t be using R for quick and simple analysis that you could run up in a spreadsheet. And you shouldn’t use either when you’re trying to build a proper database.

You wouldn’t expect a carpenter to use one single tool for every job, even if they were skilled enough to do everything with a hatchet.

2 Likes

1 Like

Yes, but I’m not sure my definition of “quick and simple” and “heavy statistical lifting” is necessarily the same as that of ardent excel users.

2 Likes

The kids at work prefer Python over R for the most part for the ‘quick and dirty stuff’. I’m old, so I still use Kaleidagraph for plotting, curve-fitting and data analysis. I’m not working with enormous sets (enzyme assays and various forms of wet biochem spectroscopic data usually). Occasionally i’ll ask someone for help with Jupyter notebook if I have need to use pandas and matplotlib.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.