Computerphile explains the fascinating AI storyteller, GPT-2

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/05/computerphile-explains-the-fas.html

3 Likes

However, Pérez also pointed out that it is likely that the only way of knowing for sure if unicorns are indeed the descendants of a lost alien race is through DNA.

3 Likes

Oh man. That short story basically says, “We think Unicorns came about when Humans and Horses interbred, which was very common in South America at the time”.

Wow.

1 Like

This will never replace human journos.

Right?

1 Like

Human journos didn’t have the guts to break that story about humans and horses interbreeding in South America

2 Likes

I can’t even get them to report on the enclave of interbred mutants in North Georgia. Where od you think Trump voters come from? Space? Well…

1 Like

Holy hell, that Kafka + GPT story Mark created is terrifying! I can’t believe something so good came out of the ‘baby’ version of the model!

2 Likes

Someone is using the GPT2 code to make a subreddit where bots trained on the content of different subs talk to each other.

The original subreddit simulator subreddit just used Markov chains. It was amusing but obviously computer gibberish.

This version is kinda creepy, in a way. It’s like I’m in some sort of text based uncanney valley when reading the posts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SubSimulatorGPT2/

2 Likes

And it’s beginning to show signs of self awareness:

This is how skynet happens, people.

2 Likes

Holy s***; “silver snow”. That’s almost sublime. Guess we will have to wait and see. What if the best that they can do is a mediocre talent who spends most of its cycles wondering if any of it is worth the effort.

NB: all variants are trained on the 40GB dataset, but the middle-sized variant has only 345 millions of parameters, and is the biggest that was released. The biggest has 1.5Bparameters, not 40.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.