Concrete buffer snaps, goes loco, terrorizes its former masters

I can’t tell if you’re being satirical or not. But just in case…

14 Likes

It needs to be wifi connected to the Internet of Things. Then just hit the kill switch on your smart phone.

7 Likes

I was running a power trowel like that when I caught a blade on something and it yanked me around a bit. Wasn’t very fun, and had a big gash in the concrete to fix. I’d think two or three times about stepping in front of that one, even if it’s idling.
No deadman that I know of. There’s a slip clutch that makes it easy to hold still to with the engine idling, but if you let go, this is what you get.

7 Likes

Meh, I worked in construction, and I thought it was a riot.

Here’s the thing- everyone in the trades knows it only takes a split second of carelessness to get maimed or worse. Coming up through apprenticeship the old timers regale you with tales, sometimes wildly exaggerated, others too painfully real to require such treatment. These stories, and the ones you eventually accumulate in your own experience over time reinforce this fact. Accidents happen, even on sites that go above and beyond OSHA standards.

TLDR: Every now and then it’s nice to have a laugh when no one’s been seriously injured.

8 Likes

6 Likes

It’s been over 20 years since I ran one, but I’m pretty sure they all had a mechanism to engage/disengage the rotation - most had a centrifugal clutch, but a few had a deadman’s switch. The accelerator probably got stuck on this one.

1 Like

Um, no - they are called whirly birds.

10 Likes

Worst machine uprising ever.

14 Likes
1 Like

Years back, while our house was being built, my dad borrowed the framer’s skillsaw and they had removed the blade protector so when he put it down the skillsaw went a few feet on its own. Not sure if the framing crew did that to defeat the safety, or that it was just broken.

4 Likes

Man vs Man, Man vs Nature, or Man vs Himself. Methinks this falls in the latter category.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Yeah. Something like that.

you cannot make concrete on a flat surface…

5 Likes

??

3 Likes

Um, no! That’s a jiffy pop vent.

6 Likes

“Its a tarp!”

13 Likes

Most likely because it was broken, but people take the guard off for various reasons, the most common in my experience is when a pencil wont hold the guard open. Sometimes having the guard off is helpful for making cuts in tight spaces, or making overhead cuts when you’re on a ladder.

1 Like

You have to realize how much power these things have. Most likely no one wanted to break their hand or worse.

3 Likes

Probably a little of both…