Concrete buffer snaps, goes loco, terrorizes its former masters

You need a bigger clipboard and more keys. :wink:

6 Likes

I’m going to like this but I’m not going to be happy about it.

3 Likes

Alternatively, be the owner.

2 Likes

oh god, get that guy outta here!

5 Likes

No, I just wanted to see how things were going. I have this shiny new hard hat!

3 Likes

Hey, let me have a turn on that thing!

3 Likes

Given the size of that site I doubt they’ve even paid a visit.

wait, really? :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, it’s called a powered trowel, not a “buffer”. That confused me, too.

And For Everyone’s Info, the handlebars [are supposed to] have a clutch mechanism that disconnects the drive shaft when the operator releases the handle (cheaper ones have a kill switch that shuts off the motor.) In any case, they are required to stop spinning the blades in something like less than two seconds. That this one didn’t stop at all means either the trowel is in need of repair, or they intentionally disabled the safety interlock. Either would be a workplace safety violation for the reasons demonstrated in the video. Fortunately for these guys nobody got hurt.

Waiting for it to run out of gas isn’t an option either. They’ll have over a gallon of gas, and could run for several hours; much longer than the time they have remaining to float the concrete surface. Once mixed, concrete doesn’t wait for anyone.

4 Likes

Listen, and understand! That Buffer is out there! It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop… ever, until you are dead!

Well… or until someone throws a tarp over it, but what are the odds?

6 Likes

Chef’s Hat vent.

1 Like

This. When I worked in roofing watched a guy fall off a third story roof; everybody threw garbage and jeered at him before bothering to find out if he was okay. They still made fun of my boss for nailing his hand to a church one day to stop from sliding off. It’s a different mindset.

5 Likes

Can he fly with that? If so, these two should meet:

2 Likes

That’s the kind of thing that would have gotten him beatified in olden tymes.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.