Concrete buffer snaps, goes loco, terrorizes its former masters

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/27/blinded-and-mad.html

8 Likes

The words “concrete buffer” at first made me think of a physical barrier in the middle of a divided road.

And thus the headline as a whole looked like one of Grant Morrison’s scripts for Doom Patrol.

37 Likes

Camera Shake caused by excessive laughter I can put up with.

14 Likes

Humans won in the end, apparently.

5 Likes

what goes around comes around

12 Likes

OK, the commentary was amusing, but I have to wonder - are either of those two pricks aware of the privilege they’re enjoying while making denigrating remarks about the people they’re watching?

Has it occurred to them that this is actually a dangerous situation for the construction workers?

This is what’s wrong with this country - too much class snobbery, too much privilege. I’d like to see these unseen white collar office monkeys get out there and show us all how it’s done.

9 Likes

Thank goodness someone had the courage to scold everyone for enjoying a little lighthearted video in which no one was hurt or actually denigrated.

29 Likes

Glad I’m not the only one. My morning moment of surrealism.

3 Likes

I have never used a concrete buffer. Shouldn’t it have a deadman switch (to disconnect the drive IF THE OPERATOR LOSES HIS GRIP). Whaddaya bet it was tied down?

9 Likes

A well spent 2:27.

4 Likes

Something like this, sure. But it’s not a jet ski going to leave you stranded in the ocean. This machine getting away from someone isn’t death incarnate, it was defeated by a tarp.

4 Likes

Safety features are only important once in a while, so they aren’t necessarily well maintained.

6 Likes

did anyone think to just stand clear and wait for the fuel to run out?

They probably did, but that’s going to be a long hour of work not getting done.

They don’t pay you to stand around not solving problems on job sites.

8 Likes

Lol,‘concrete buffer’… its like calling shoes foot wrappers.

1 Like

While the fuel is burning off it’s messing up the concrete and also the concrete is drying. Letting the fuel run out would probably involve some expensive redoing of the concrete, not to mention the schedule slip.

10 Likes

I’m trying to figure out why a couple of the beefier guys didn’t just grab the handle firmly and let it go back to buffing?

Probably because they didn’t want to break any bones in their hand when a spinning shaft of metal smashed into it? I mean, they miss the afternoon of work and the day after and they’re going to be docked for that time. Totally sucks.

I did kind of expect greater coordination from the 15+ people watching it though, like once the guy threw the tarp over it for a few people to grab onto it instead of watching him throw it over and for it to go zipping away.

7 Likes

I had the same confusion. I was expecting some pre-stressed structure losing it’s cables.

Pedantic construction moment: This machine isn’t a concrete buffer, it’s a mechanical float.

15 Likes

I didn’t understand that move either. All it did was prevent access to any wires, control lines etc that could otherwise have been whacked with a stick to shut it down.