Watch how this engineer removes a 400-lb table saw from the back of her SUV without a forklift

Originally published at: Watch how this engineer removes a 400-lb table saw from the back of her SUV without a forklift | Boing Boing

15 Likes

But now its blocking the driveway?

3 Likes

I have a sudden urge to go buy some steel toe-cap boots.

16 Likes

Those are amazing saws, and they aren’t cheap. They stop instantly if a body part touches them.

17 Likes

Stop talking stop talking stop talking GET MY NEW BOX OUT OF THE CAR !!!
– The Cat

36 Likes

This is great for desert island physics but having had the unfortunate duty of being a pallbearer multiple times, I promise 5 people (or 3 strong ones) and those cinching straps could get that thing down more safely and way quicker than welding custom ramp ends.

7 Likes

I’d have pulled it down ONTO that piece of cardboard and used it as a skid over to (presumably) the shop. OR better, onto a furniture dolly or creeper. Of course, whatever way it’s getting onto a table/frame/itself/whatever, it could have been unboxed right out of the truck and onto that without all of this toe-endangering work. She’s probably got some other way of not deadlifting it up from the ground, but two left inventions don’t make a right.

6 Likes

That’s not how engineers think. (blushes as awkward memories resurface)

9 Likes

Actually, the saw is broken after such stunt and a piece need to be replaced to work again.
A bit like airbags

8 Likes

I know people who would’ve tied the pallet to the fence post then just driven the car forward as fast as they could

12 Likes

Well not broken so much as the safety mechanism has one shot, and once spent must be replaced. It also completely ruins your expensive saw blade.

There is a powder charge that fires, and propels the blade into a soft aluminum block that stops the rotation ALMOST instantly. It also drops the blade below the table deck at the same time away from the flesh it has encountered. Its not unusual to get a small nick - but beats taking a finger off.

21 Likes

She says in the video that she already had the custom ramp ends.

8 Likes

Smart way to get the saw out of the car.

Not so smart wearing open-toed sandals while doing this.

6 Likes

Looks like she needs steel toed footwear

20 Likes

6 Likes

I used a similar approach to get an old VW engine into my basement. Though I could really use a video on how to get it back out. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That’s how I would have done it but without the fail safe inside, that wouldn’t have occurred to me.

The come along inside is an excellent way to pull something heavy up into the vehicle and I will try to remember it next time I have something heavy to get in my van.

Just recently we decided to clean out our attic through the 30" inch square opening. I’m not sure how we ever got those heavy things up there 25 years ago other than we were much younger. I rigged a hoist with a cargo net that worked like a charm but it took me quite a few times of reminding my wife not stand under it as it was going up or down.

My fear of killing myself or a helper prevents me from doing really stupid stuff.

6 Likes

I was surprised the tailgate didn’t collapse under the weight of the box.

8 Likes

She said it’s about 400lbs. That’s, what, the weight of maybe 3 people on the tailgate? Think it would be fine from what I’ve observed at tailgate parties.

5 Likes

Fairly simple solution that seems obvious in retrospect, like any good solution.

Anybody who has ever abused a come-along should have been able to come up with that solution.

But there’s a massive difference between “should have” and “would have”. Hindsight is 20/20, and I’ve said “why didn’t I think of that?” way too many times…