Man narrowly misses being killed by runaway saw blade (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/01/man-narrowly-misses-being-killed-by-runaway-saw-blade-video.html

11 Likes

Shocked Saturday Night Live GIF

17 Likes

I’ve come close to death a couple of times in my life, but only due to my own negligence and/or stupidity. Never to just dumb luck. Holy shit, if that guy had been delayed by just a few seconds…shudders

13 Likes

Curses! Foiled again! I’ll get you next time, Sam Reimche!

12 Likes

He didn’t even see it. He just walks in the store and a few seconds later there’s a sawblade.

Also, not saying that much mass moving at speed couldn’t cause some severe injuries, but that’s a concrete saw blade. They’re not particularly sharp, they’re designed to cut by abrasion.

4 Likes

I’ve seen this video posted on several websites, but no one seems to be discussing the most important question: how did this happen in the first place??!! Was there a crew using a concrete saw up the road, and the blade came off while at full speed or something?

13 Likes

This is a case of Boltzmann Circular Saw.

9 Likes

The news coverage later in the video does discuss some concrete work being done nearby. It’s also the most reasonable conclusion; the only real alternative is an attack by a saturday morning cartoon villain.

10 Likes

Did you mean sawing board?

6 Likes

Saw the video last night and it’s pretty wild to see this giant thing slam into the store’s door. Glad everyone was safe

2 Likes

Almost certainly with safety features removed and/or the blade retaining nut missing or improperly tightened. I can’t imagine this happening under normal operating conditions and it seemed to be spinning at high rpm.

5 Likes

I’d guess anything that thin, heavy, and fast could split him right down the middle, or close to it, if it can embed itself in a wall that deep.

10 Likes

Peter Hermann Good Question GIF by TV Land

2 Likes

Agreed. Hopefully, the contractor is looking at a big OSHA fine. Hitting them in the wallet is the only way some people learn.

5 Likes

surprised to see an open market in Ravenholm, and thank goodness this guy didn’t run into any zombies

5 Likes

One of the first times in my life that a gaming level completely filled me with dread… such excellent design! No weapons except for your trusty gravy gun, mowing through hordes of zombies. Great times.

5 Likes

Fell from the sky?

(Yes I know, probably a concrete saw, but this is cool)

4 Likes

Somewhere nearby there is a concrete cutting crew going “oh shit…”

5 Likes

If this saw blade attaches in the same way as demo saw blades do, a single bolt is all that holds it in place.

Perhaps the bolt was overtightened, weakening it and causing it to snap, releasing the saw at a high rpm. I don’t know that undertightening would cause the same issue, because the way the threads run on the saw, the bolt tends to get tighter as the saw spins up.

I am surprised at the speed of the saw blade, they must have been at full power with the saw blade barely in the ground, for it to launch like that.

4 Likes

Surprised that blade didn’t take someone out from the construction site all the way to the store front it ended up at :grimacing:

1 Like