Condé Nast selling off mags after $120,000,000 loss

I think that came out around the time of the movie.

Also, the movie wasn’t a flop. It made money, just not a whole lot. Not like Batman money. Tons of great actors/actresses, though.

6 Likes

$100 million! On one website!

So… That’s totally believable. What do you think the likes of Facebook and Amazon have spent on one website?
I think you’d be surprised at the number of multi-hundred-million dollar websites you use infrequently.

1 Like

I would have thought The New Yorker was their best-known magazine. Maybe that’s just because I don’t read Vogue.

1 Like

A Kenny G soundtrack?

Oh wait…

1 Like

I used to work for CN indirectly, and I don’t read either one… (or any of their other publications either, for that matter.)

Hell, I was positively shocked when Teen Vogue started breaking hard-hitting news that other outlets were scared to touch back after the 2016 election…

7 Likes

I was looking for “artisanal” but I guess it’s the same diff.

Welp, Wired and New Yorker are staying. Good enough for my reading tastes.

3 Likes

I think Wired should sold to a better publisher. One that doesn’t pester me with renewal notices every month. BTW, Wired is a good mag but they need a better art director. Using small fonts, of a color that almost matches the background is very hard to read for older eyes.

6 Likes

That’s been their MO since pretty much the beginning. I dropped the print version entirely and subscribed to it on my iPad. This makes it much easier to read.

6 Likes

He was eventually given that power in the later novels. Of course, these 1960’s novels may have been post-pulp, depending on how you choose to define the term.

1 Like

I haven’t read those, but the comics vary between pulp and radio stories.

2 Likes

It’s still in print? How last millennium.

So is Egon.

2 Likes

I don’t know where you live or what the situation would be for you, but I quality for unlimited, renewable 3-day passes to the Times website through my local public library. I log into the library site, they give me an access code, and then I log into the Times website. I don’t get access to the current crossword puzzles, but apparently that’s a separate cost even for people who buy access to the digital edition of the newspaper.

The process really isn’t bad, and requires fairly limited hoop-jumping. I just don’t use their site very often.

3 Likes

I remember Wired back in the early days of the net being described by someone as “month old news stolen from the net and printed in a green spiral on a red background”.

9 Likes

WIRED has always been about style over substance. There are some excellent articles in amongst the white on yellow 6pt text, silly graphics and watch adverts - but I suspect most of the staff are employed to bugger around with typography and colour pickers.

The genius of WIRED is that they’ve made their iPad application just as infuriating to read as the dead tree edition but putting serious effort into creating unfathomable navigation and random pages sizes.

5 Likes

I especially love the whole “let’s show you a down arrow on a page you can’t actually scroll”.

3 Likes

Interesting. Reading the article, I get the impression that this whole mess is more about an internal power and directional shift than anything fundamental to their long-term viability.

Lots of old-timers GTFOing. A high-stakes bet that was 10+ years behind its time (style. com). Clinging to old print models for way too long, but with a recent rash of smarter social media decisions as well.

Yeah, they’ll probably be fine, just needing to shake out the people at the top that were coasting and unable to adapt to an industry that’s all about being forced to survive on the bleeding edge.

sounds sort of like one of those “photocopier proof” code sheets that served as copy protection for the game you just bought or borrowed from a friend.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.