Condé Nast selling off mags after $120,000,000 loss

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/02/conde-nast-selling-off-mags-af.html

9 Likes

Not surprising, sadly; I worked for one of the satellite offices as an independent contractor in their shipping department for years, and the whole entire time, they were downsizing and trying to cut costs… before they eventually decided to eliminate my own job position when they moved into a smaller office suite.

Also, kudos for the Devil Wears Prada reference…

11 Likes

For those of us who can’t afford to read NYT links, what magazines are being sold?

5 Likes

They’re selling Brides, Golf Digest and W. So filling the image with Vogue and references to Vogue is a little bit misleading.

13 Likes

Vogue is CN’s best known publication, and brand recognition breeds ‘clicks.’

3 Likes

Hmm… wonder what this means for The Shadow?

Condé Nast is who has owned the rights to the character for decades. Street & Smith were the original pulp publisher and was bought by Condé Nast in 1949, at the end of the Pulp Era.

9 Likes

Hand-crafted bespoke organic vegan HTML from local sustainable resources doesn’t come cheap.

25 Likes

Hopefully nothing bad happens to arstechnica.

11 Likes

Has there been any works with The Shadow since the 1994 movie flop? I imagine the work remaining just as dead as it was before. If someone were really interested in doing something with the IP they should have had no trouble buying it.

3 Likes

only The Shadow knows…

14 Likes

Yes, lots of comics and they have been slowly reprinting all of the pulps. Not the most popular character, but not dead yet.

Still, if they are selling off shit, DC, who owes A LOT to the character, and who just had 2 crossovers with Batman, might scoop it up.

4 Likes

Smells like some good old fashion money laundering.

3 Likes

wondering what the late great aaron swartz would… hmmmmm

The money isn’t “lost” - somebody else has it now.

2 Likes

the apple ipad should have had some reasoning to make 99 cents per issue out of that thank you

Do you suppose The Shadow really wore a stylish cape and hat or did he just cloud readers’ minds to make them think he did?

I mean, if I had the ability to completely alter the way people saw me then I’d probably just bum around in my pajamas while hypnotizing everyone into thinking I walked right off the cover of GQ.

10 Likes

Well in the pulps he didn’t actually have that power. That was on the radio show. So since the pulps had the illustrations and descriptions I’d say “yes”.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Pfft! So depassé. So 2008!

My friend, for $100m, this website needs to have such obvious user features as:
An elite membership program entitled Nasté Plus (pronounced ‘Ploos’), for which keys embossed on porcelain will be hand-delivered to the 100 members. Yes, 100 members. Only.

(Access to La Nasté Plus confers priviliges such as Always On Video-Interfacing with a camera surgically attached to one of Anna Wintour’s personal assistant’s optical nerve and a custom Swiss-engineered cortical interface for navigating the site. It will also make you permanently feel as if your skin has been replaced with gold silk.)

A custom-built 1024-bit operating system wriiten in Estonian, available to download from the site portal. Naturally, this 14-case contextual OS will be necessary to run the website.
Users lacking the necessary hardware requirements for the OS will be redirected to a catalogue wherein they can order specially-designed laptops built in low-Earth orbit and available in a choice of rare animal skins. Prices begin at $50,000 for the entry level model.

And most certainly - live daily feeds, updates and secrets from the lives of so many of Condé Nasts many, many wonderful and delightfully rich celebrity friends. See and hear the private lives of the Kardashians, the royal families (all of them, not just the boring English ones) and every single model who has ever graced one our covers, anywhere.
How? Why, through the magic of our nanoscopic spy drones. Unleashed with the blessing of our talented lobbying and legal department.

Upcoming features!
Condé Nast will be pivoting to video interviews with the cloned and preserved brains of celebrities past. Called ‘Celebrities Passed’ (ha ha!) we’ll be probing the minds of Rock Hudson and Audrey Hepburn, to name just a few hundred!
Tell us, Audrey. Breakfast At Tiffanys or Reverse Cowboy at dawn?!”

We’ll also be rolling out a new samples program. From the first of September, we’ll be uploading artistically designed perfume samples and condiment samples to your laptop’s inbuilt 3D printer.
Perfumes and condiments? Why not both!
Try the thrilling scent and taste of ‘Men Of The Sea’, made from molecularly engineered sperm whale semen.

Mmmmm!

And as a matter of course, the entire site will only support the Trajan-Pro font. In gold with a platinum border.

Hand-crafted bespoke organic vegan HTML sourced from local sustainable resources?
That’s available from the site-portal catalogue.

15 Likes

They did a Shadow pinball game a few years back.

3 Likes