“Congrats, you have an all male panel!”

[Permalink]

3 Likes

Tumblog of greatness indeed… I will read and share this!

Also, I keep going to conferences and end up on jazz panels with 2 white dudes, and a white dude moderator, in a room full of white dudes… Then they dominate the conversation after the presentations.

10 Likes

I mean, you’d really have to work to exclude women from these groups so thoroughly. Huh.

2 Likes

What we need, to illustrate the absurdity, is an all-female panel on something super male, like prostate cancer or pattern baldness.

12 Likes

Well, if they’re experts on the topics…like an oncologist or geneticist? I dunno, I suspect that’s a slight bit difference on something like a panel on women in buddhism, as illustrated in the post. Why not include women on a panel that deals with social issues relating to women?

2 Likes

Well yeah that’s my point – for an issue that explicitly targets men, how weird would it be for the panel to be all women?

Kind of like that french gender inversion video, Oppressed Majority

7 Likes

I’ve been thinking a while about a statistical tool I could put online to help people decide if a group of people is gender/race/whatever biased under a statistical model.

As a feminist these all-male things bother me, but as a scientist I keep wondering what the null model is. Say I setup a panel of Nobel Laureates in Physics, would I get called sexist because only men are there? What if I held a meeting of ex-presidents? What about a meeting of 3rd grade teachers?

7 Likes

Maybe they are too busy actually getting things done instead of wasting time in panels people will forget about 2 days later?

6 Likes

“p-male”

2 Likes

I dunno… I seem to be on lots of panels this year which people forget about later that day! :wink:

2 Likes

I think the reigning champion is still that all-male group of witnesses the GOP called to testify in a 2012 hearing on birth control.

19 Likes

I love that video, actually. It’s pretty powerful.

To be clear, I have no real issue with panels on women’s issues that include men - as long as they aren’t the only ones on the panel and aren’t assholes about it.

1 Like

Man the only people I take Jazz advice from are the elderly black gentlemen that tell me who to listen to when I am browsing the stacks at the Seattle central library.

5 Likes

Interestingly, they are often talking about some older black gentlemen and their music. Me, I’m talking about the recording industry and the Cold War and the jazz tours.

1 Like

Good god, that Women in Buddhism panel is particularly face-palm worthy.

I know of plenty of highly esteemed Buddhist women leaders in the US and Europe, and have known several personally, but I’ve never heard of any of those panelists.

3 Likes

…do we need a jazz games thread?

(You can pry Stephan Grapelli and David Grisman out of my pale, well calloused hands)

1 Like

1 Like

In regards to your comment?

2 Likes

I propose they be called ‘man-els’.

5 Likes

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess that that poverty summit panel didn’t have any poor people on it, either.

4 Likes