Congress to Google's Sundar Pichai: Deal with climate change disinfo on YouTube

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/28/congress-to-googles-sundar-p.html

3 Likes

“accused the company of incentivizing climate misinformation content” and to “stop monetizing…falsehoods”

I think there is a large contingent of Congress critters that need to receive a version of this mail.

4 Likes

While they’re at it, they can deal with the algorithmic push to white supremacy. It’s all tied together, anyhow.

8 Likes

I’m changing my climate right now.

4 Likes

Congress is urging Google to take long-overdue action to stamp out ‘dangerous climate misinformation’

The White House then sent Google the same letter but the ‘dangerous climate misinformation’ was in regard to climate change acceptance videos.

2 Likes

I’m stunned, STUNNED I tell you, that this letter came out of THIS administration, considering the decidedly anti-intellectual approach Trump takes on everything that doesn’t support his cronies making ridiculous profits, and especially on the heels of Trump’s Davos attack on Thunberg in front of the entire world and in direct contravention to established science.

1 Like

Congress: hey Google, can you please do all this stuff that we won’t do ourselves? Thanks.

Hypocrisy aside, why stop with just climate disinformation? What about other disinfo? Should Google become the arbiter of truth? Maybe Facebook can also be an arbiter. I’m sure the two of them would always get it right. And never disagree.

2 Likes

The problem is when they do this you have Republican senators and media claiming that Google is biased against conservative views. This has happened at least once before.

1 Like

It came out of the House of Representatives, not the White House.

3 Likes

They will figure out what the current regime considers to be “truth”.

1 Like

sustainability has become one of Google’s core values from our earliest days

Um, so something has just now become a thing from the very start? I’m very confused.

EDIT: Oops, accidental reply. Meant to just go in the thread.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.