Congressional Democratic establishment wants to replace "Green New Deal" with a climate committee of oil money recipients

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/21/hydrocarbon-democrats.html

6 Likes

The Dem establishment never misses an opportunity to pull defeat from the jaws of victory.

36 Likes

They are too much part of the problem by now to be able to be part of the solution.
All across the board, no matter what topic.

16 Likes

We need serious campaign finance reform already. Until that is fixed, we can’t fix anything else including climate change.

16 Likes

Please, please, PLEASE - if there are any super-wealthy folks who are reading this and want to make an impact with an enormous amount of money, THIS. Get money out of American politics, promote voting rights. It’s literally the most important step, everything positive follows from it.

7 Likes

“Inartful… not sure…” ?!? I’m writing to Pelosi today. This is a disgrace. Let’s remind the Dems why they won, & whom they need to support in order to win again.

5 Likes

Pelosi has spent her entire career preventing progressive change and giving degrading personal services to billionaires. Why did antone expect her to change?

7 Likes

Democrat, Republican, whatever. Both wings belong to the same carrion-eating bird.

4 Likes

Dems - get out of the fucking way

12 Likes

If ranked choice voting was ever allowed to break the hold of the two party system, the Democratic party would evaporate into complete irrelevance within days. Or be forced to actually adapt and change, but… well, come on.

2 Likes

They are paid to lose.

3 Likes

There go those good old Dems again, showing that wide margin between them and the alternative :joy:

*waits for highfalutin speech about the seriousness of politics… *

1 Like

WTF America, time to have another revolution I think. Just wipe the slate clean and start again.

But the guys who have to pass the reform are…

There are just as many Dem-leaning billionaires as right-leaning Koch brothers, so there you have it - the bouncing toilet valve of Amerikan Democracy.

Ocasia-Cortez will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

See also:

2 Likes

That’s the Democratic Party. Always moving to the Right and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

Except perhaps that time she founded the Progressive Caucus, or the time she voted against the first Gulf war, or all those other votes of hers that has earned her 100% ratings from the HRC, from Planned Parenthood and NARAL, from the Grassroots Netroots Alliance, from PIRG, from the LWV, from the ACLU, from the NAACP, from the Sierra Club, etc. But yes, except for those times and maybe some others she has spent her entire career kowtowing to billionaires, and only gets reelected because her congressional district is so conservative.

4 Likes

Perhaps I’m just growing unduly cynical about BB, but I can’t help assuming that the outrage here is a) exaggerated, b) based on a misunderstanding, or c) both.

1 Like

I don’t know if she’ll be assimilated, but chances are she’ll either be primaried out next time by the Dem establishment’s candidate of choice or will give up when she sees them continually pulling stunts like this on behalf of the fossil fuel industry, or the financial services industry, or the health insurance industry, or big pharma, etc.

Which is a shame. The Dems took back the House largely on the basis of candidates like Ocasio-Cortez, who are saying that being a social liberal – as worthy and necessary as that is – is no longer enough without being an economic and environmental progressive as well. Younger voters, the party’s future, turned out to support that broad direction, but situations like this will only discourage them from voting in 2020 (which would be bad timing indeed).

1 Like