Congress's spending proves the GOP believes life begins at conception and ends at birth

Especially since 99% of them support the death penalty. :thinking:

9 Likes

Matthew 7:16

3 Likes

If you’re a single issue voter, you’re a moron. It’s a stupid thing to do, because no politician is a “single issue politician” and no voter really only cares about one issue.

Single issue voting is just a way for parties to trick short-sighted people to vote against their own interests in order to bolster the power of the party.

Being a single issue voter is really not much different from throwing your vote away in the first place. It gives someone else all the power of your vote without you actually expressing anything much.

10 Likes

Or “pro-natal” maybe?

1 Like

Not if they’re Catholic. They tend to be consistent on that front, at least.

2 Likes

This thread is about the heinous fucking GOP, not their dipshit constituents.

1 Like

Ah but you see, since god is god, he could literally wipe out all life on earth for no particular reason, and he’d be right to do so as every evangelical familiar with Noah’s Ark would tell you.

God could kill 99.999% of all “babies” before they’re born, and that’d be just fine by evangelical’s standards.

4 Likes

Your actions define who you are. And anti-choice single issue voters, through their actions, have quite directly said they care more about controlling women’s sexuality than they do about the wellbeing of the babies they force the women to bear.

9 Likes

Good point, but YMMV. Nuns, pretty consistently; priests, many if not most; practicing Catholics, not so much. At least based on the Catholics I know (half of my family and almost all of the neighborhood I grew up in).

2 Likes

Yup.

In my experience, most of them will eventually admit that their primary motivation is in using the threat of forced birth as a deterrent and punishment for women who have unauthorised sex.

Getting them drunk first speeds up that conversation considerably.

There are exceptions, of course; I knew one genuine life-begins-at-conception person. She was very unusual. though; a stoner neopagan hippy who had personally given birth to a child of rape.

9 Likes

They should do what everyone else who looks at a ballot and can’t find a candidate who promotes what they want should do.

Run themselves on the ticket that they support. In this case, no abortion and generous welfare.

If there are really so many people who support that but just have to choose the anti-abortion, no welfare candidate because of lack of choice, they’ll be overrun with support.

6 Likes

Too many syllables for that crowd. And it sounds furrin, not good 'Merican English. /snark

I’ve seen pro-lifers say in the same conversation that women should be denied reproductive choice “to save the child’s life!”, but if she gets pregnant “that’s her fault for being a slut”, and on the topic of welfare, the knee-jerk response was “I’m not paying my hard-earned money to support sluts who can’t keep their legs together!”

Here, I have a different situation to consider, while we’re engaging in hypotheticals, this one is from Patrick Tomlinson:

you are in a fertility clinic when the fire alarm goes off. Before you escape, you have the option to save either a five-year-old child who is pleading for help, or a container of 1000 viable human embryos.

“Do you A) save the child, or B) save the thousand embryos?“ he asks.

“There is no ‘C.’ ‘C’ means you all die.”

Which one do you choose? Answer honestly, and without special pleading.

6 Likes

Just as a bit of background, I doubt there are many people here with more of a history with legal access to abortion than Cory: https://boingboing.net/2009/07/23/abortion-clinic-esco.html

And the most efficacious way to do that would be to make the contraceptive pill available over the counter, rather than requiring it to be accessed via the medical bureaucracy.

2 Likes

The five year old child, no question.

Now if it’s a dog versus the embryos, sorry Fido.

1 Like

Well apart from the potentially very unpleasant side-effects for those for whom the pill is really not a good idea.

There is a reason doctors are involved rather than just letting anyone buy the pill whenever they like. There are also plenty of other options which might suit the individual better.

A degree of bureaucracy doesn’t seem too bad if it gets the right contraception to the right person. Free of charge.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/contraception-guide/Pages/contraception.aspx

3 Likes

I know Cory grew up in Toronto which has a pretty substantial Catholic population. Catholics in Toronto in the 1970’s were probably anti-abortion and also pro-social welfare. It seems odd to me that as socially active as he and his family was, he doesn’t seem to have met any of them.

Assumption! Do you have evidence of this?

2 Likes

There were (are!) lots of Americans who are at once anti abortion and pro spending on children’s care. However both of our major political parties have kicked them out of the tent.