Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez can't afford to rent a DC apartment

that is my exact face for the last twelve hours
she was an economics major, she has been elected to congress, she seems pretty with it every time I see her speak about anything; but she can’t get a $20,000 loan with virtually guaranteed $174,000 future income for the next year? what am I missing?

Besides proper punctuation, you mean?

Maybe she’s not interested in taking out a loan.

And maybe, just maybe… she’s intentionally calling attention to the ridiculously severe income disparity in the US between TPTB and ‘the Average Josephine.’

18 Likes

She could just as effectively call attention to economic injustice by commenting on how something like this would have been an insurmountable hurdle for her up until very recently, but is only a minor chore now that she’ll be making three times the median US salary.

Of course she’s allowed to do whatever she likes, but she is no longer the Average Josephine, and she can afford to rent an apartment. (again, unless she really can’t for some reason that I am totally missing, but what am I missing?)

You really think she should take out a loan for her monthly rent? So that no only does she have to pay rent, she has to pay interest for that rent?

16 Likes

It does not seem to be a very well thought-out course of action.

14 Likes

I’m sure she’s well aware of how loans and credit in generally have gotten us into a lot of trouble as a country. People are deeply in debt to private corporations and that means that they have a harder time building up wealth for things like retirement.

13 Likes

Fucking A; regardless that she’s technically no longer “a commoner,” taking on unnecessary debt is still a truly terrible solution to a temporary problem.

‘Robbing Peter to pay Paul’ never works out well in the long run, in my experience.

14 Likes

Three times the median salary isn’t shit in certain areas. Such as Washington DC. The US is huge. Cost of living scale dramatically.

I have heard speculation we should be paying congress critters more, but also limit their employment prospects AFTER service, at least for awhile, to help curb the whole politics to special interest pipeline.

Oh and this and limiting campaign spending or have a fixed budget per candidate would give them more time to do their jobs. She will be pushed to start fund raising on her first day, most likely.

9 Likes

$1100 if you’re wiling to do Southern Towers.

1 Like

Interesting that the people we elect are so well off that this has never come up before.

Any private sector job with anything even close to that salary would have a relocation package.

7 Likes

You say ‘loan shark or bank’ like that’s two different things.

6 Likes

Megyn Kelly!

It’s like I just ate a Mentos. Very refreshing.

AOC for President 2028?

Hmmm… Seems like the kind of thing an economics major would note as being sub-optimal.

The fact that we see going into debt as an acceptable thing when starting a new job is one of those problematic issues we have as a society.

16 Likes

Note the interview happened on the day of the election. She was favoured to win, but hadn’t won her seat just yet and mentioned the following:
“Honestly, I’ve been so focused on today that I’m not trying to count my chickens before they’re hatched.”

Another quote:
“We’re kind of just dealing with the logistics of it day by day, but I’ve really been just kind of squirreling away and then hoping that gets me to January.”

I’m sure now a couple days later that she has been working something out, either getting a loan or finding someone she could stay with.

Either way, it points out how she saved up her money, quit her job to run for office and is trying to get by until her new salary kicks in.

12 Likes

Ok, AOC never said she couldn’t afford to move to DC. She did nothing wrong and I am sorry for doubting her.

Preach. Maybe she’s erudite enough to just be making a point, like about equal representation? /s

Ocasio-Cortez and Justice Dems are our best hopes. The money-bought Pelosis of the world… is it too soon to sing that nanana song?

4 Likes

They need to start winning first. (Also, not running ethically challenged candidates like the one in my district, and not running against more grassroots progressives like Derrick Crowe did against Mary Wilson in TX-21.) AOC seems great, but the group as a whole is not quite ready for prime time.

I believe Paul Simon (Democrat) of Illinois and Simpson (Republican) of Wyoming shared an apartment for some time–and remained good friends until Simon died.

Is that a thing?

1 Like