Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez can't afford to rent a DC apartment

“Working the streets” is a poor choice of words, methinks in the context of a young woman being hard up for money.

2 Likes

cersei-ugh-no|nullxnull

20 Likes

I live in the VA suburbs and have a guest room. She’s welcome to stay with me!

EDIT to add: I pass Metro on my way to work and can drop her off, too.

17 Likes

Once a month.

2 Likes

Sure, while technically true, I think that someone who is about to have a $175k+ job could probably find a loan shark or bank to lend you $10k.

3 Likes

This could be the setup for an “Odd Couple”-style comedy in which she is forced to crash with some far-right Trump supporting congressperson for a couple of months.

20 Likes

Has nobody has started a gofundme for her yet?

3 Likes

This reminds me of what happened after Jim Florio, a member of the working class, was elected governor of NJ. His wealthy predecessor decided not to live in the state-owned mansion, and it had fallen into disrepair:

https://www.nytimes.com/1990/02/22/nyregion/the-florios-new-home-italian-marble-and-rusty-water.html

4 Likes

Yup. It certainly is. $1400/month in the poorer areas. Although she may be able to get a deal on an airbnb for a few months for a room. She has to pay market rate or it’s considered a campaign contribution that’s likely to go over the limit.

6 Likes

Looks like her DMs are open, if you are on Twitter and wish to contact her:
https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018

and her campaign has a Facebook page, which I won’t link to but if you are on Fb you could message her or them through Fb.

There’s (I hope at least) some coalescing group of supporters who, after some sort of vetting process, are more than likely to offer guest rooms, couches, whatever.

After all, and I pose this in all seriousness, who wouldn’t like to have hope living inside their home?

6 Likes

It’s not surprising that she can’t afford the rent in DC yet, the cost of living there is exorbitantly overpriced and:

AOC is not a rich politician… and that’s a good thing - because if the wealthy and privileged are the only people making our laws, nothing will ever change for everyone else for the better.

19 Likes

I feel like maybe we should provide publicly-funded housing to Congress as a condition of their employment. Tie the funding of that housing to the funding of other federally-operated public housing initiatives, so if Congress wants fancy digs, they have to shell out for the rest of the people on public assistance. No more sweetheart housing deals from lobbyists, and no more working-class people being unable to afford to move into their new job in public office.

17 Likes

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez…

I like the sound of that.

just sayin

16 Likes

What, no one has posted this guy? You guys are falling down on the job.

10 Likes

Someone posted the tag line, but not the man himself… always relevant!

6 Likes

I bet that several “senor” representatives as well as others will use this as a pejorative.

How does congress not have a dormitory? They are working and only need intermittent access to a place to sleep, eat, and then go back to the office- right?

There are advantages to her making this public knowledge. It’s transparent. It helps protect her from a lobbyist from providing her with subsidized housing without people asking questions. It also connects her with donors without using the Democratic National Party or any of the related mega nonprofits. There are some really good donors out there, many not from her area, that want to do the most for the party. Likely a few have stepped up and have offered help. And lets see if there is also if a fellow politician doesn’t have space.

The question comes, how are the donations made and taxed? If she has a crowdfunding campaign, would it need to raise the cost of an apartment, per diem, and her tax burden? If somebody donates a room for 3 months, is that a taxable gift in kind? Is it being made to the office or the individual?

It highlights a problem about wealth and representation. Most of America would be in the same position if they were suddenly representing their peers.

7 Likes

And yet the irony was always strong with Jimmy McMillan who lived rent free in Flatbush but kept his rent control apartment in the East Village (right around the corner from my old apartment).

So one of the reasons the rent was too damn high was because of people like him abusing the rent control rules and discrediting the program which could have helped other people.

Still wish he had won the R primary rather than Donald Trump - he would have done a better job

DC is cheaper than NYC, especially if you get a a place in MD or VA. You could get a studio in Arlington (short metro to capital) for 1500

2 Likes

let’s be real tho,
does she really not know she could borrow the money from a money lender?
or am I wrong? are all the banks and credit unions really going to look this congresswoman in the eye and say “sorry, until you actually start your government job, you’re just a bartender to us” ?
this is really fucking with my head and I am getting into fights on facebook and irl; and does she understand basic finances or doesn’t she???

13 Likes