Conservatives furious at actress chosen to play Snow White in Disney remake, and you'll easily guess why

It’s anyone’s guess as to what compels Disney executives to keep churning out low-effort live-action remakes of beloved animated movies they already did decades ago.

I’m guessing extending copyright somehow? If the plot of a new but ho-hum film exactly mirrors an earlier classic film that folks might actually want to use when it enters the public domain, I imagine ho-hum can provide cover for the classic?

4 Likes

That’s not how copyright works. For example the recent live action Winnie-the-Pooh movie had no impact on the character itself coming into the public domain.

18 Likes

Don’t you mean “Heigh-Ho?”

13 Likes

I still haven’t watched any of the live-action remakes of Disney’s animated classics but I might be persuaded to watch a Snow White remake about a goth girl who runs away to lay low with seven misfits living in a communal punk house.

43 Likes

Agreed. Definitely not “Columbian”.

19 Likes

Where is this from? I want to say the actress looks vaguely familiar, but I can’t place her.

3 Likes

I suspect these casting decisions have little to do with US culture wars and a lot more to do with the simple fact that the blockbuster movie industry is thoroughly international now and the world has a lot more movie watchers with brown skin than with skin white as snow.

7 Likes

Gee, the Reich Wing gets awful butthurt about fictional characters. Pepe Le Pew, The Green M&M, The Little Mermaid and now, apparently, Snow White.

Didn’t they claim that the left were supposed to be the “snowflakes”?

14 Likes

Honestly, I’d rather not. I’d rather point out what miserable killjoys they are being maybe help them to reflect a bit on their life choices…

We will do that regardless!

14 Likes

Focusing less exclusively on stories about white people is only part of a “culture war” in the sense that angry bigots want to pick a fight about it.

Most audiences are happy to enjoy films starring people who don’t look like them, as long as there are a reasonable number of other films starring people who do.

20 Likes

Not even conservative-assholes, because they really have a problem keeping their shit to themselves. :man_shrugging:

12 Likes

Matches most vampire descriptions, now that you mention it.

Saturday Morning Halloween GIF

14 Likes

They’re not conservatives if they’re not furious. It’s their default state

5 Likes

10 Likes

That bit has always been pure projection.

15 Likes

Is that a red riding hood that Snow White is wearing?

3 Likes

Just had a long ignored synapse decide to connect up and remember the Seeing Ear theater hosted be SciFi.com way back in 2002.

They had a fantastic episode called Snow Glass Apples By Neil Gaiman which was about Snow White being the actual evil one, as told by the step mother.

The show had a full cast, notably Bebe Neuwirth as the Queen, aka Lilith from Cheers.

Pretty sure Snow White was a vampire in that version, but I now need to go listen to it again!

Can find a copy here:
https://www.sffaudio.com/seeing-ear-theatre/

Or here:

14 Likes

Original Disney Snow White wore the same color scheme including a red cloak (or cape at least) but I don’t remember if that one had a hood.

6 Likes

See also Indexing by Seanan McGuire.

1 Like

I’ve read that one