Snow White remake delayed for reshoots

Originally published at: Snow White remake delayed for reshoots | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I haven’t watched literally any trailers or seen any posters of this because of my immense indifference to the movie but good god those dwarves look… terrifying. Imagine waking up late into the night and noticing one of them looking at you in the dark.

8 Likes

Even setting aside all the racism, it doesn’t look like they were ever able to thread the needle of how to tell this story without offending people who have dwarfism.

Peter Dinklage was (justifiably) angry about Disney making a live-action remake at all because it reinforces stereotypes about people like him existing for comic relief and greedily digging for precious stones in underground mines. Then Disney responded by declaring “fine, we will tell the story without using actors who have dwarfism.” To which other actors who have dwarfism responded “if we can’t get considered for parts in a movie that has “dwarfs” right in the title then what parts CAN we be considered for?”

I haven’t even paid enough attention to see where they finally landed, but it sounds unlikely to please anyone.

23 Likes

This whole concept is Dopey and I’d be Happy if Disney dropped it. Makes me Grumpy.

Someone else can finish this joke. I’m just still a bit Sleepy.

17 Likes
7 Likes

i see what you did there bill hader GIF

8 Likes

Well, if you’re Bashful about it, I suggest you see the Doc.
Unless, of course, you’re Sneezy, in which case you should responsibly socially distance…

11 Likes

Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

5 Likes

Weed Tripping GIF

5 Likes

She reshoots! She scores!

craiyon_143621_snow_white_taking_hockey_shot

7 Likes

Dopey looks exactly like Alfred E Neuman of Mad Magazine.

5 Likes

Maybe having them CGI is a good idea because they were never meant to be human little people. The Dwarfs of that fairy tale were mythical beings like elves or gnomes, right? Any human portrayal is bound to be fraught by our society’s prejudices about actual people, whether you include them or leave them out.
Now that I’m thinking about it, I’m starting to wonder how appropriate it is to call the mute and less than mentally astute character “dopey”…

the one part right wingers seem to have latched on the most about is that the Snow White doesn’t have Snow White skin. Which is seriously ridiculous. She’s light skinned but just not light skinned enough… SMH.

4 Likes

… whatever it looks like, I am nowhere near the target demo for it — if there even is one :confused:

1 Like

… in addition to replacing the actor with CGI, they’re deleting the scene where he’s shooting up :face_with_spiral_eyes:

4 Likes

It’s very possible that was intentional.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.